Criminal Investigator Cover Letter
Criminal Investigators work for different kinds of agencies and are in charge with investigating crimes. Essential responsibilities of a Criminal Investigator include gathering evidence, monitoring criminal activity, interviewing witnesses, collaborating with law enforcement, making sure all laws are followed at the crime scene, taking safety precautions, packaging and transporting evidence, and updating records. Types of crimes investigated by these experts include drug trafficking, organized crime, human rights violations, and financial crimes among others.
The ideal candidate for this job should be able to demonstrate the following abilities throughout their cover letters:
- Legal knowledge
- Investigative skills
- A meticulous approach to work
- Integrity and work ethics
- Attention to details and observational skills
- Time management
- Effective communication
- Computer competences
- Training in criminal justice or forensic science
Those interested in a Criminal Investigator career can check relevant skills and experience in the cover letter sample displayed below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Criminal Investigator Resume Samples.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Ms. Edwards:
Upon learning of your need for an experienced Criminal Investigator to come on board with the City of Richmond, I quickly decided to submit the enclosed resume detailing my experience and credentials. As a driven and highly analytical professional with 14+ years of experience leading evidence collection, forensic management, and data analysis, and thorough documentation to identify and detain suspects and solve crimes, I am expertly prepared to surpass your expectations.
Throughout my career, I have amassed a breadth of expertise in performing top-flight crime investigations and analyses, leading motivated and productive teams, and generating detailed and accurate reports while maintaining a dedicated focus on preventing potential future criminal activity. My proven success in effectively communicating across internal and external departments—along with my expertise in using databases to extract crucial information—positions me to make a substantial and positive contribution to your organization.
Consider the following highlights of my experience:
- More than 14 years of crime scene investigation and management expertise gained during my tenure as an Criminal Investigator; managed case assignments, obtained search warrants, gathered and verified evidence, interviewed sources and witnesses, analyzed records, and communicated with local law enforcement agencies to achieve a 99.3% case resolution rate.
- Prepared reports detailing investigative findings in more than 56 felony investigations and assisted in more than 340 federal investigations, resulting in a measurable reduction of illicit drug activity affecting 60,000+ personnel.
- Investigated illegal drug activity, larcenies, and various other violations of federal code statues, leading to the apprehension and prosecution of 5 major drug distribution rings as well as the seizure of thousands of dollars of controlled substances.
- Determined the scope, timing, momentum, and direction of investigations to drive decision-making and meet time-sensitive needs/requirements.
- Achieved a reputation for thoroughness, efficiency, and the ability to quickly build rapport with individuals from diverse backgrounds and situations.
With my deep expertise in performing all facets of criminal case investigation—complemented by my inherent interpersonal, analytical and problem-solving skills—I am ready to provide outstanding service on your team. I look forward to discussing the position with you in further detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Gary E. Hogan