Criminalist Cover Letter
A criminalist gathers evidence from crime scenes and provides input for detectives to solve crimes. Typical job duties for a criminalist include collecting evidence, analyzing evidence in laboratories, writing reports based on evidence, testifying against suspects, reporting to the station chief, and staying up to date on forensic science developments.
To impress with a criminalist cover letter, be sure to include the following skills and attributes:
- Knowledge of forensic science
- Meticulous approach to work
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Integrity and willingness to speak under oath
- Flexibility and adaptability
To give you an idea of what a good criminalist cover letter looks like, we’ve included the example below.
Improve your chances of getting noticed with a powerful cover letter. Take a look at our guide to create the best cover letter in 2019.
Dear Mr. Austin:
Upon learning of your need for an experienced criminalist to serve the police department of the City of Danbury, I quickly decided to submit the enclosed resume detailing my experience and credentials. As a trustworthy and highly analytical professional with over 10 years of experience in evidence collection and forensic analysis, and a detailed record of assisting in successful cases, I am expertly prepared to surpass your expectations.
Throughout my career, I have gained invaluable expertise in participating in crime investigations and analyses, generating detailed and balanced reports, and testifying as needed on a wide variety of criminal cases. My success lies in my meticulous attention to detail and my ability to effectively communicate with many audiences. These skills, coupled with my extensive forensic expertise, position me to make a substantial and positive contribution to your police department.
Consider the following highlights of my experience:
- Performed extensive investigations at crime scenes; studied and uncovered evidence; processed results of investigations and evidence items; and compared and examined latent prints utilizing AFIS and IAFIS as a criminalist for the City of Alamo for 11 years
- Prepared detailed reports on findings and relevant evidence for each crime scene
- Provided relevant support to police and courts substantiating charges
- Received Crime Scene Analyst Certification from the International Association for Identification
- Provided expert testimony and interpretation regarding scientific findings
- Provided training to law enforcement, attorneys, medical professionals, and the general public regarding forensic science, evidence collection and preservation, and DNA analysis
- Received a bachelor’s degree in forensic science from West Texas State University
With my dedication to preventing future criminal activity and bringing justice – coupled with my expertise in forensic science and criminal investigation—I am the right person to join the Danbury Police Department. I look forward to discussing the position with you in further detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Janie S. Brewer