- FEATURED IN :
What does JobHero do?
JobHero’s super team of career development experts, certified professional resume and cover letter writers, and researchers are here to help job seekers get hired.
We do this by offering thousands of recruiter-approved, job-specific resume and cover letter examples, a variety of resume templates and cover letter designs, advice, resources and an award-winning Resume Builder.
What do I get with Full Access?
With full access to JobHero, you can:
- Download and print unlimited resumes and cover letters in any format (PDF, MS Word, .TXT, Rich Text, web page).
- Access your resumes and cover letters anytime from anywhere.
- View dozens of resumes and cover letter templates for a range of industries.
- Check your resume for grammar, spelling and other common mistakes instantly.
Is your staff experienced resume writers?
Yes! JobHero’s staff consists of certified professional resume writers who create all our pages about resumes and cover letters so you may rest assured it’s quality advice!
What is a resume template?
A resume template is a useful tool that:
- Provides an overall structure and design for a resume.
- Organizes your information within a professionally designed framework.
- Gives your resume a polished look.
- Is a reliable blueprint for a successful resume.
How do I use a resume template?
After choosing the best resume template for your needs, then it’s time to write your resume.
JobHero’s Resume Builder helps you do this section by section quickly and easily. Just click “Create a new resume,” and we will walk you through the steps to fill out each section. We’ll even provide relevant keywords and give you tips throughout the process. You’ll have the chance to save your progress along the way and edit your work before you save and download your final resume.
Are JobHero templates recruiter-approved?
What is an applicant tracking system?
An applicant tracking system (ATS) is a software program that recruiters and hiring managers use to scan resumes and cover letters for relevance to job openings. They look for keywords and phrases that match the job description and rank candidates based on how much their resumes and cover letters meet the employer’s requirements for the position.
Are your resume templates capable of passing ATS?
Yes! JobHero’s resume templates are optimized to pass applicant tracking system software. Our professionally designed, recruiter-approved templates ensure proper placement of your information, correct use of headers and footers, appropriate fonts, and clear margins. Having all those pieces in place makes it easier for ATS programs to accept resumes.
What is a resume example?
A resume example is a guidepost for job applicants who want inspiration to write their resumes. Resume samples show job seekers format ideas, well-written work history and professional summary examples and provide insight to how your competition’s resumes might look.
How do I use a resume example?
To get the best use of a resume example:
- Think about the type of job you want.
- Consider your work experience.
- See how others describe their work history.
- Select the appropriate format to showcase your accomplishments.
- Study the resume example and apply good ideas to your resume.
What are the main resume formats?
The chronological format is the most widely used, and is ideal for job seekers with a long work history. Functional resumes, also known as “skills-based” resumes, put job seekers’ skills front and center. The hybrid/combination format is just as it sounds: a mix of the functional and chronological formats.
How do I select a resume format?
The resume format you choose depends on your career level, work history and professional goals.
How long should a resume be?
Resumes should be no more than two-pages long. Most job seekers will only use one page, but some applicants with more than 10 years of experience will find that two pages suit them better. A well-written resume will always be short and to the point while conveying a candidate’s qualifications accurately and clearly.
How does your Resume Builder work?
JobHero’s Resume Builder makes it easy to build an interview-winning resume in just minutes. Here’s how:
- Choose a resume template you like.
- Answer a few questions (i.e., “How much work experience do you have?”).
- Fill out each section in the template — we’ll guide you!
- Customize your resume to suit the job for which you’re applying.
- Proofread and edit your resume.
- Save and download it.
- Send it to the employer along with your cover letter in a variety of file formats!
Do I need a different resume for each job?
Yes! You need to create a new resume for every job you apply to.
You should customize your information for each position, company and industry. No job is identical: Even if you apply for roles with the same job title in the same industry, there will be differences. Besides, every company has different perspectives and goals and your resume should speak to those things first and foremost. So read each job description carefully and tailor your resume to match it.
Can I easily customize my resume for different jobs?
JobHero’s Resume Builder makes it easy to customize your resume for each job. You can start from scratch by picking a new template for each job, or you can edit and rewrite a previous resume after you’ve saved and downloaded it.
Just make sure you save it with a new file name for the next job!
How long does it take to write a resume in your builder?
You can write a resume in just 15 minutes using our Resume Builder.
Should I add my photo to my resume?
Unless you are an actor or a model, you should not add your photo to your resume.
Here are the top-five reasons why:
- It’s not necessary. Your resume has to be succinct and fit all your relevant qualifications, so you need all the space you can get. A photo won’t help you get an interview, but it will eat up precious space.
- It’s distracting. You want hiring managers to focus on your relevant attributes and work experience, not your photo.
- It can be used to discriminate. Whether intentional or not, a hiring manager might discriminate against you based on race, gender and age. Most companies have policies to reject resumes with photos instantly to avoid accusations of discrimination down the line.
- It is not ATS-friendly. Applicant tracking systems, which most companies use to parse and scan resumes for relevance, can not read images. If an ATS can’t scan your otherwise perfect resume because it has a photo, then it will reject it immediately, eliminating your chance to get the job.
- It is considered unprofessional. It’s true. Many hiring managers think resumes with headshots are unprofessional, primarily due to the factors listed above. Those hiring managers won’t take you seriously as a candidate and will reject you without even bothering to read your credentials.
Should I use graphics and fancy fonts to stand out?
There are several reasons to avoid using graphics and fancy fonts on your resume, including:
- Applicant tracking systems (ATS) can’t scan resumes filled with graphics and inappropriate fonts, so it’s likely your resume won’t make it to a hiring manager, and all your effort will be wasted.
- It will look like you’re trying too hard, making hiring managers see you as desperate. Hiring managers don’t want desperate candidates.
- They detract from your qualifications. Hiring managers are busy, so they need to be able to read through your resume quickly. Don’t make them look for your relevant information, or they may just move on to the next candidate.
- Some hiring managers see graphical resumes as unprofessional. Sure, a highly stylized resume might get you noticed, but not in a positive way.
How do I show my accomplishments on my resume?
Accomplishments are super important to your resume because they indicate to employers what you can achieve for them. Add them to your work history instead of listing your responsibilities, and quantify them with numbers for the most significant impact.
Instead of: “Takes vital signs, records health data, and performs procedures including venipuncture, measuring blood pressure, pulse rate, respiration, weight and height.
Try: “Measures and records health data and performs routine procedures such as venipuncture for an average of 65 patients per day with a consistent patient approval rating of 100%.”
How do I determine the skills to show on my resume?
The best way to determine which skills to use on your resume is to read the job description carefully and take note of which requirements match your skill set. List those skills on your resume, taking care to use a mix of soft and hard skills to convey that you are well-rounded.
How many years of experience should I show on my resume?
The general rule of thumb for how much experience to show on a resume is no more than 10 years to stay current and keep your resume at the recommended two-page maximum. It is possible to show 15 to 20 years of experience if you think it’s necessary, but if you do, then keep it concise. It helps if you’ve only worked for a handful of jobs in that time and if you use a hybrid/combination resume format.
Curriculum Vitae (CVs)
What is a CV?
In the United States, a CV is a document that lists a person’s entire academic and professional history. They include publications, research projects, fellowships, speaking engagements and lectures. Graduate students, academics, scientists and doctors tend to use them.
What is the difference between a resume and CV?
In the United States, a CV is a lengthy and comprehensive document that contains an applicant’s professional and academic achievements. CVs are used more often by those whose jobs rely on research, publications and public speaking.
In other countries, CVs are the equivalent of an American resume. They are shorter documents that applicants use for a broad spectrum of industries.
In the United States, resumes are more commonplace. They’re concise documents of no more than two pages that applicants from the public sector, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations use to show their work history, education, relevant skills and top achievements.
How many pages should a CV be?
A CV can be any length necessary to provide the required information about a candidate.
When do I need a CV?
You should use a CV if you are a Ph.D. candidate, professor, or other academic, scientist, researcher or medical doctor. You are applying for a fellowship, grant, teaching position, or a job in your field.
What is a CV template?
CV templates are useful tools that provide the layout and design required to give a CV a professional look and feel. JobHero’s professionally designed CV templates come in various styles and are fully customizable, so you can add sections to suit your background and goals.
How do I use a CV template?
After choosing the best CV template for your needs, then it’s time to build your CV. JobHero’s Resume Builder helps you do this section by section quickly and easily.
Just click “Create a new resume,” and we will walk you through the steps to fill out each section. We’ll even provide relevant keywords and give you tips throughout the process. You’ll have the chance to save your progress along the way and edit your work before you save and download your final resume.
What is a CV example?
A CV example serves as a guidepost for candidates who want inspiration to write their own document. They show job seekers how to format a CV, help them choose the best design for their experience, and can provide insight into CV-writing best practices.
How do I use a CV example?
To get the best use of a CV example:
- Think about the type of job you want or grant you seek.
- Consider your professional and academic experience.
- Keep your eyes peeled for designs that might suit your experience.
- Study the CV example for good ideas and apply what you learn to your resume.
How do I use the Resume Builder to create my CV?
Creating and customizing a professional CV using our Resume Builder is easy.
- Click on the Build Resume button to begin.
- Follow the prompted instructions from the builder to enter your contact information and work experience.
- Then choose a template from one of the four categories (Recommended, Traditional, Modern and Classic).
- After completing the guided sections, you’ll be able to edit your document.
- Once you've clicked the ‘Add a Section’ plus sign, that will direct you to the menu with available add-ons such as Activities & Honors, Accomplishments and Certifications. You can also select ‘Add a Custom Section’ to create your sections.
- When you’ve finished adding a new section, you will be directed back to the editing menu, where you can go over the area with your mouse to move, edit or delete unnecessary information. To organize the section layout of your document, hover over the area you want to move, and an icon with arrows will pop up on the top-right of the section box.
- Once you have returned to the editing menu, if you would like to format your document, click the ‘formatting’ arrow at the bottom of the page. That’s where you can adjust the margins, font size, font style and spacing.
- To choose from eight different colors for your document, simply go back to the bottom menu and select the ‘olor’ arrow on the far right.
- If you want to change your template selection, go to the far left of the bottom menu and select the ‘template’ arrow.
- Make sure to spell check your document and then click the ‘Save & Next’ button by the ‘color’ arrow before downloading your CV to save your work.
If you end up back in the dashboard after saving your document, simply click the pencil icon in the center of your document to start editing again. You will find the breakdown of your CV sections on the right side of the edit menu, below the ‘Spell Check’ function. To get to the custom sections menu, click ‘Add a Section.’
Cover Letter FAQ
What is a cover letter template?
- Provide the overall structure and design for cover letters.
- Organize cover letters within a recruiter-approved framework.
- Give cover letters a polished look.
- Are reliable blueprints for successful cover letters.
How do I use a cover letter template?
What is a cover letter example?
How do I use a cover letter example?
What is a cover letter format?
How should I address my cover letter if I can’t find the hiring manager’s name?
How does your Cover Letter Builder work?
- Choose a cover letter template using our cover letter examples to guide you.
- Upload your existing cover letter or personalize one of ours.
- Use the job-specific example text from our builder to help you create compelling and descriptive paragraphs based on your job experience and qualifications.
- Polish it off with our easy-to-use formatting tool and spell-checker.
- Proofread it for grammar and accuracy.
- Save and download it.
- Send it to the employer along with your resume.