Border Patrol Agent - K-9 Handler
Served in a high-profile law enforcement position applying and enforcing complex criminal provisions of Immigration and Naturalization Service Laws policies to fight the threat of terrorism, detect, prevent, stop illegal drug interdiction, and apprehend undocumented aliens and alien smugglers from entering the United States, and to stop illegal drug smuggling operations.
- Utilizing an agency certified canine, conducted vehicle and passenger inspections to detect controlled substances, contraband, currency, explosives, chemicals, plant and animal materials, and/or concealed humans, illegal aliens, and possible terrorists at the Sierra Blanca, Texas checkpoint; detained or arrested persons suspected of violations.
- Performed detailed inspections and investigative work including interviewing travelers, verifying document authenticity, researching legal documents, gathering information and intelligence, and analyzing and determining levels of risk for possible violations and threats to national security.
- Made immediate decisions regarding immigration violations, evidence of smuggling, fraud, terrorism, or other suspect activity; apprehended, searched, detain, or arrested violators of Immigration laws or the civil and criminal codes.
- Conducted surveillance operations, mobile and foot patrols, pursued leads, and responded to electronic sensor alarms, and other intelligence and anti-smuggling activities in the area.
- Interviewed and interrogated aliens, material witnesses, and principals to obtain needed information and signed affidavits or other documentation for criminal and/or administrative prosecutions; established and developed sources of information and intelligence gathering.
- Prepared detailed reports of all incidents and arrests, which could stand on their own merits in further investigations or legal proceedings.
- Conducted daily training of the assigned canine to maintain a high level of proficiency; utilized safe canine handling practices both on and off the job site, and ensured the optimal health conditions were maintained and kennel facilities met safety, sanitation and health standards.
- All canine training efforts led to targeting various positive narcotic and currency seizures, which resulted in canine being the top seizing dog in the area over a 3-year period.