Police Dispatcher Cover Letter
Police Dispatchers are responsible for answering to callers in distress and forwarding relevant information to police staff. Essential job duties of a Police Dispatcher are the following: taking phone calls, gathering information, identifying caller whereabouts, tracing phone calls, introducing data into a computer system, and determining the urgency of the call. Information these professionals need to obtain are the location of the incident, the nature of the urgency, people involved in the incident, the presence of weapons or firearms, and the presence of injuries.
Based on our collection of cover letter samples for Police Dispatcher, the most sought-after skills for the job are:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Listening abilities and attention to details
- Geography knowledge
- Being able to work under pressure
- Computer competences
- Ability for work in shifts
- Stamina and resilience to stress
Comparable job assets are visible in the sample cover letter provided beneath.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Police Dispatcher Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a Police Dispatcher, check out our more complete Police Dispatcher Job Description.
Don't send your resume without a cover letter. Find out how to create a professional cover letter in our guide.
Dear Ms. Carter:
When I learned of your need for a Police Dispatcher, I hurried to submit my resume for your review. As a skilled professional with 11 years of excellent experience responding to public calls and communicating crucial information to police and emergency services, I would significantly benefit your team in this role.
My background spans solid experience serving as the first line of communication for police, fire, and EMT services. With the ability to quickly and accurately ascertain the required medical and/or safety needs from callers, I excel at dispatching emergency teams and ensuring necessary personnel receive comprehensive pre-arrival instructions. Furthermore, I have earned professional recognition by my superiors and peers for my sound decision-making skills. My proven ability to stay calm under pressure, along with my superior communication and multitasking abilities, prepares me to excel in this position.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Receiving hundreds of calls each day as a Dispatcher with the Houston Police Department, responding to emergency and non-emergency requests for police, fire, and paramedic services while remaining calm in an intense and high-stress environment.
- Rapidly identifying the proper response requirements and relative priorities for each situation and dispatching units in accordance with regulations and procedures.
- Meticulously recording the details of all calls, dispatches, and messages.
- Retrieving and updating information from teletype networks and computerized data systems regarding various criminal activities.
- Earning a reputation as a top performer with extremely high levels of accuracy and efficiency.
With my record of success in managing police dispatch calls, coupled with my superior analytical and time management skills, I will certainly surpass your expectations. I look forward to discussing the position in detail. Thank you for your consideration.
Catherine D. Carroll