Med Surg Rn Cover Letter
Med surg RNs deliver comprehensive patient care in acute care, trauma, and ER environments. Skilled across a broad range of nursing responsibilities, these medical professionals perform routine tasks including patient monitoring, medication administration, wound care, vitals, and IV insertion. The ability to communicate collaboratively and efficiently with cross-functional medical staff is essential to success in this position, as are superior interpersonal and time management skills and a high level of integrity.
Cover letters for this role often mention the following:
- Bedside nursing care
- Patient progress and condition monitoring
- IV and catheter insertion
- Oral, intramuscular, and intravenous medications
- Wound care and cleaning
- Records management
- Caregiver/family education and communication
- Needs assessment and patient requests
- Team collaboration and leadership
- Pain and anxiety management
- Relationship building and maintenance
Below you will find a cover letter for a med surg RN including similar skills, qualifications, and credentials.
Dear Mr. McDade:
As a highly skilled, licensed nurse with comprehensive experience providing nursing care and services to patients within critical care environments following surgical procedures, I am pleased to present the enclosed resume. My background in supporting acute patient care will allow me to substantially assist Fordham Hospital in meeting – and exceeding – its healthcare goals as your newest med surg RN.
My background includes preparing and utilizing highly technical devices and equipment, monitoring patient progress and condition, and communicating with cross-functional medical teams to coordinate all aspects of patient care. Tracking patient vitals, maintaining detailed patient and procedure records, and providing overarching bedside nursing support are just a few of the many tasks I perform each day, consistently providing a superior level of compassionate patient care.
Highlights of my experience include the following:
- Providing quality bedside patient care in alignment with nursing philosophy, organizational standards, and legal regulations as a med surg RN within a Level One Trauma Center and a high-volume hospital ICU for the past 11 years
- Collecting test samples, inserting IVs and catheters, administering medications (oral, intramuscular, and intravenous), caring for and cleaning wounds, and tracking vitals and conditions to prevent complications
- Liaising effectively across diverse medical teams – encompassing physicians, surgeons, physical therapists, and fellow nursing staff – to ensure appropriate and necessary patient care; communicating compassionately with caregivers and families
- Evaluating and responding to patient needs and requests pertaining to pain, anxiety management, and overall comfort
- Supervising nurse aides as necessary and serving as unit team lead for the night shift for seven nonconsecutive years
- Achieving credentials as a licensed registered nurse in the state of Colorado, a Certified Critical Care Nurse (CCRN), and a Certified Emergency Nurse (CEN); possessing a bachelor of science degree in nursing from the University of Colorado
- Excelling under pressure while maintaining an unwavering focus on quality, accuracy, and sound judgement
With my expertise in managing patient care and support within medical-surgical units, I am confident that I can greatly contribute to your team at Fordham Hospital. I look forward to discussing this opportunity and my qualifications in more detail. Thank you for your consideration; I look forward to hearing from you.
Lori T. Patterson