Guidance Counselor Cover Letter
Guidance Counselors assist students of all ages and care for their well-being. A crucial part of this job is listening to children’s and teenagers’ concerns. Typical work activities of a Guidance Counselor include: helping students overcome their problems, improving the parent – teacher relationship, implementing drug and alcohol prevention programs, referring students to professionals, acting as academic advisers, monitoring students with development issues, delivering aptitude tests, and helping students identify career goals.
Schools employ Guidance Counselors who can demonstrate the following abilities throughout their cover letters:
- Guidance and counseling abilities
- Childhood development knowledge
- A caring and friendly personality
- Being able to interact with all sorts of students
- Excellent listening skills
- Recordkeeping and reporting abilities
- Organizational skills
- Computer competences
Beneath is visible a sample cover letter highlighting relevant skills and qualifications for the job.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Guidance Counselor Resume Samples.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Ms. Reed:
Upon learning of your school’s search for a new Guidance Counselor, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your review. As an enthusiastic and motivated individual with dynamic interpersonal and administrative strengths and a background in student support, advisement, and relations, I am confident that I would be a valuable asset to your team in this role.
My experience includes advising and counseling students from diverse cultural and geographic backgrounds to encourage academic / personal achievement and advancement while simultaneously tackling and overcoming emotional problems. With strong inner motivation and superior communication talents, I excel at advising students on program / career selection, assisting those struggling with challenges at home or at school, and connecting effectively with a broad range of students.
Highlights of my qualifications include…
- Counseling and advising high school students on college selections, internal program offerings, and volunteer / special credit opportunities as a Guidance Counselor for Metropolitan High School in Jacksonville.
- Guiding, mentoring, and supporting students through academic, cultural, emotional, and social transitions and difficulties to facilitate positive and beneficial student experiences.
- Forging and maintaining trusting and long-lasting student relationships to encourage transparency and open communication.
- Interacting regularly with parents, teachers, school staff, and other individuals relevant to each student to deliver ongoing updates and ensure “same-page” mentality on addressing student issues.
- Earning a Master’s degree in Educational Counseling from Florida State University.
With my strong background in student counseling, along with my proven talents in relationship building and communication, I am well prepared to extend my record of success to your team at Connelly High School. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this position and my qualifications with you further.
Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Minerva D. Hart