Academic Counselor Cover Letter
Academic Counselors work in colleges and universities and assist students to improve their academic performance and help them choose a suitable career. Many times, Academic Counselors play a vital role for students at risk and are typically responsible for: helping students to set educational goals, presenting school programs, assisting students with major selection, collaborating with school staff, getting involved in the development of educational plans, and monitoring student progress towards educational and career goals.
A well-written cover letter sample for Academic Counselor usually focuses on skills and abilities like:
- Advising skills
- Empathy and a caring personality
- A non-judgmental approach
- Tact and diplomacy
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of academic programs
- Computer competences
- Availability and an approachable manner
The cover letter example displayed below mentions similar Academic Counselor abilities and competences.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Academic Counselor Resume Samples.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Ms. Fields:
Upon learning of your search for a new Academic Counselor to join your staff at Templeton University, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your review. As an enthusiastic and motivated professional with 12+ years of experience in student advising and support, as well as excellent communication talents and a firm commitment to achieving institutional goals, I am confident that I would become an immediate asset to your team in this role.
My background includes identifying and implementing educational standards, assisting students with class selection and scheduling concerns, and providing comprehensive academic guidance to optimize their postsecondary educational experiences. With strong interpersonal, problem solving, and organizational abilities, I am more than prepared to excel in this position and make a dynamic contribution to the success of your students.
Highlights of my qualifications include…
- Performing a broad range of academic advisory and student support responsibilities, including registration, class schedules, transfer credits, enrollment/withdrawal, and long-term course planning/selection.
- Counseling a caseload of up to 450 undergraduate and graduate students at Mississippi State College, utilizing worksheets, discussions, and interview techniques to identify student goals and shape a customized path to timely degree completion.
- Delivering presentations to educate students on institutional policies, procedures, and expectations to drive achievement of graduation requirements.
- Maintaining an 80% student retention rate through top-notch student service and career development efforts.
- Experience in working with traditional, non-traditional, domestic and international students.
- Earning a Master’s Degree in Educational Counseling from Biloxi University.
With my strong background and my demonstrated commitment to achieving—or surpassing—educational institution goals, I am well prepared to extend my record of service to Templeton University. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this position and my qualifications with you in more detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Richard W. Wooldridge