Department Chair Cover Letter
Department Chairs oversee academic program development, management and execution for a university. Typical responsibilities held in this role include recruiting qualified new faculty, developing strategic plans and initiatives, supporting the university’s mission and goals and advocating for faculty as appropriate. Additionally, a Department Chair should have ample teaching experience as well as superior communication and leadership skills.
A successful cover letter for a Department Chair should detail the following types of strengths and qualifications:
- Academic program oversight
- Faculty and staff recruitment, hiring, advocacy
- Faculty support and mentorship
- Course planning/teaching
- Curriculum development
- Strategic/tactical planning
- Course scheduling
- Departmental administration
- Faculty annual reviews
Below please find a cover letter for a Department Chair with comparable skills and experience noted.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Department Chair Resume Samples.
Don't send your resume without a cover letter. Find out how to create a professional cover letter in our guide.
Dear Dr. Schmidt:
Upon learning of the opening for the position of Department Chair, I felt compelled to submit my CV for your consideration. As an accomplished, visionary leader in the academic sector with 12+ years of teaching, planning, and program development experience for this university, I am well prepared to significantly contribute to the department’s goals and objectives.
My expertise includes overseeing strategic planning initiatives, curriculum design, assessment, and academic program development to propel increased enrollment and retention while enhancing student achievements and learning experiences. From conceptualizing and establishing forward-thinking development plans and programs to recruiting and developing high-performance faculty members, I excel at directing strategic enhancements to drive goal achievement while communicating openly and routinely with faculty, staff, and management teams. Furthermore, I have ten years of teaching experience at this university, with a reputation for instructional excellence and high-class engagement—and student evaluations and rankings to corroborate.
Highlights of my experience include:
- Spearheading program design, curriculum development, quality assurance, faculty recruitment and leadership, and relationship building and management while maintaining a student-centric approach and a commitment to ensuring academic excellence.
- Developing and establishing a variety of innovative academic programs and classes to attract and retain students, energize academic offerings and enhance career and professional development outcomes for students.
- Demonstrating a strong commitment to bringing new technological tools into classrooms to further engage and capture student interest.
- Achieving a Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership as well as a Master of Psychology degree from the University of Michigan.
My skills in academic operational oversight, student teaching, and directional leadership have been finely honed, and I am confident my additional strengths will readily translate to success as the next Department Chair. The chance to offer more insight into my qualifications would be most welcome. Thank you for your consideration; I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Adam I. Chambers