Territorial Underwriting Manager
Ensured attainment of loss ratio and growth objectives through leadership of staff/agents and collaboration with NY branch managers and field marketing representatives. Managed underwriting team of 16 associates to achieve territorial business goals. Developed underwriting standards, business/financial/operational plans, and budgets.
- Developed, negotiated, and directed $3.82 million of book rolls to OneBeacon over a three year period.
- Improved book of business mix for profitable package segment from 35% to 65%.
- Implemented rate pursuit programs that resulted in 25% and 12% returns on investment.
- Developed and implemented program for profit improvement, which involved re-underwriting business.
- Temporary assignment to CGU Personal Lines Merger Integration Task Force. Developed strategy and plans for Underwriting Policy, Processing Systems, Agency Relations and Field Organization used as framework to merge the personal lines divisions of Commercial Union and General Accident companies to form CGU.
at this job
Personal Lines Underwriting Manager
Manage a Central CA territory consisting of over 60 highly tenured and VIP agencies. Manage quality risk submission through on going coaching and training surrounding target market risk and profitable risk selection. Effective in providing feedback and alternatives when appropriate. Exceeded quality and production goals consistently.
- Managed a territory of over $20 Million dollars, and maintained profitable loss ratio results of 60% or lower across primary lines.
- Partnered with Sales to collaborate on growth initiatives and address opportunities in training, performance and submissions
- Exceeded all travel requirements providing a value add in every meeting
- Leveraged opportunities and consistently and managed a territory of profitable growth
at this job
Program Underwriting Manager
Managed all functions involved in the commercial program underwriting group including account underwriting, underwriting standards and authorities, strategic plans for growth and profitability, and form design specifically for the commercial niche market and captive clients. Oversight of accounting, reinsurance, claims, administration, compliance, audit and loss control vendors.
- Generated underwriting profits on all programs being handled over a 5-year period with an underwriting loss ratio under 50% for the period. Including underwriting of the accounts and processing transactions for each captive member.
- Programs included Property, Construction, Workers Compensation, Manufacturing, Agricultural and various other industries
- Developed leads for new programs that exceeded $30 million in annual premium.
- Generated from an underwriting audit an additional premium of $280,000 and collected it from the insured and managing general agent.
at this job
Managed Risk Selection Underwriting team of 12 Underwriters which included responsibility for employee performance, customer service and expenditures. Served as Risk Selection lead in recommending and administering risk policy processes and practices for an assigned product brand or market segment. Coordinated and reviewed workflow and created daily/weekly reports.
- Championed a Large Claims Study on a quarterly basis by pulling claims over $25,000 and reviewing underwriting to determine set patterns and recommended changes in investigative procedures and guidelines.
- Communicated company policies and decisions to ensure current standards were maintained with both internal and external customers.
- Served as underwriting representative for legal and compliance related issues.
- Managed workflow of reporting staff with quarterly one-on-one reviews as well as annual performance reviews to ensure time service, productivity and quality goals were consistently met.
- Acted as liaison for all vendors and worked with the Lab, and Paramedical vendors to coordinate changes in testing concerns.
- Underwriting liaison for mergers and acquisitions team by being the main contact for coordination of processes and procedures.
- Made recommendations for changes in Blood Profile Study by reviewing materials and results and subsequently recommended changes based on findings. Saved over $12,000 approximately per year for 5 years.
at this job
Responsible for Wisconsin and Minnesota $40 million book of business, with a staff of five underwriters and five underwriting assistants. Oversee branch office planning, underwriting budget, monitoring, recruiting, training and evaluating staff and division goals. Accounts covered manufacturing construction land service industries.
- Analyzed department structure and workflow; reorganized staffing model to improve efficiency and reduce expenses.
- Hired, trained and monitored new staff in Minnesota and existing Wisconsin office.
- Promoted to Senior Underwriter, Marketing Representative and to Underwriting Manager.
- Established beneficial relationships with key agents, clients and associates, which increase production and business retention.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines while remaining accessible to staff and customers.
- Fast learner who received six promotions during company tenure.
- Recipient of "Employee of the year" and "Special Contributions" Awards for outstanding contributions in cost-savings accounts receivable recovery and continuously exceeding our production goals.
at this job
Underwriting manager for Markel Risk Specialty (MRS), which converted to Markel Specialty Commercial (MSC) in 2011. MRS was a commercial generalist operation serving Markel's countrywide retail agency force with account premium ranging from $15,000 to $1,700,000. Responsibilities included 21 direct reports ranging from underwriters to processing staff with written premium of $13m. MSC consisted of new specialty programs including Recycling, Temporary Staffing, Show Caves, Museums and misc. commercial products not fitting within these programs. Responsibilities included 6 direct reports including underwriters and rating staff with account premiums ranging from $5,000 to $2,700,000 for written premium goal of $10m, Recycling program comprised 70% of goal.
- Exceeded renewal retention premium and percentage goals
- Achieved new business goals for specialty programs
- Set service standards that surpassed the expectations of the agency force, resulting in outstanding renewal retention while meeting new business premium goals.
- Implemented innovations in workflow processes and procedures to improve efficiencies and capitalize on strengths of individual team members consisting of both underwriters and raters.
- Establishment and tracking of goals, underwriting guidelines and staff training for the development of new MSC programs.
at this job
Responsible for starting a new facility to service the surety credit needs of firm's Commercial Insurance customers with intermittent surety needs. Worked with a staff of 5 analysts and administrative professionals to get this fledgling operation off the ground and develop it into a self-sustaining profitable operation.
- Developed matrices and parameters to properly qualify the customer profile permitted to access and utilize this facility.
- Worked with agents and brokers nationwide who were generally unfamiliar with the surety line of business in order to fulfill customer needs and make the agents feel comfortable that their customers' needs were professionally handled.
- Underwrote and analyzed a wide array of credit obligations both domestic and international in nature.
- Granted sufficient underwriting authority by the firm to efficiently handle most requests on my own.
- Communicated underwriting issues to agents and brokers in order to keep lines of communication open and relationships viable.
- Established and monitored billing and collection procedures to ensure that accounts receivable were realized within company guidelines. Results in this area consistently exceeded these parameters.
at this job
Commercial Programs Underwriting Manager
Effectively led and managed a professional team of commercial multi-line underwriters and customer service representatives, in order to achieve the strategic operating plan objectives for profit, production and service for the Commercial Programs and Select Customer business segments.
- Established new underwriting and servicing unit dedicated to commercial affinity group business.
- Managed unit with over $100 million in total written premium.
- Created and implemented profit improvement plans for poor performing programs.
- Restored profitability to the commercial program book resulting in a 2005 ROE in excess of 15%.
- Effectively managed the unit through various organizational transitions.
at this job
Credit Underwriting Manager
Managed a team of 16 underwriters and two team leads on a FNMA non-performing review project.
- Exceeded client quality expectations with an average monthly score of 98% (Min. Req. 95%).
- Doubled underwriting production from 2 loans per day to 4+ loans per day.
- Developed reports to accurately capture daily, weekly, and monthly production.
- Tracked weekly and monthly quality scores to identify trends utilized for training opportunities.
- Designed training materials and resources to maintain the team's project knowledge levels.
- Acted as the liaison between CoreLogic and the client's credit expert and received several acknowledgements for proactively communicating expectations and process changes to our underwriting team.
at this job
National Underwriting Manager
Manage a team of 65 professionals that includes Underwriters, Credit Analysts, and Credit Specialists, a AML KYC Manager and KYC Specialists
- Manage production and risk management of a $13B portfolio of loans
- Helped implement a new risk management and spread system called Navigator
- Developed and implemented an improved organizational structure to improve the productivity of the Underwriters
- Redesigned the AML KYC process to improve consistency and accuracy of the information across the country
- Improved processes to allow for a reduction in headcount of more than 10 employees
at this job