Editor In Chief Cover Letter
An editor in chief is in charge of all editorial development and publication, including editor oversight, content development and selection, and readership loyalty and growth. Responsibilities typically held in this position include leading editorial boards, identifying and pursuing content, adhering to schedules and budgets, and managing an extensive network of industry contacts. Strong abilities in communication, business, writing, and networking are all assets in this role.
Cover letters for this position usually mention the following:
- Editor management
- Publication development and oversight
- Project schedules, budgets, and guidelines
- Content prospecting and solicitation
- Sales and marketing support
- Budget administration
- Office management
- Relationship building and management
- Subscriber growth
Please find a sample cover letter for an editor in chief below detailing comparable skills and qualifications.
Don't send your resume without a cover letter. Find out how to create a professional cover letter in our guide.
Dear Mr. Moreno:
Please accept the enclosed resume in response to your posting for a new editor in chief. As an accomplished and skilled editor and manager with significant experience overseeing editorial staff, managing project schedules and budgets, and cultivating and managing writer and freelancer relationships, I feel confident in my ability to vastly exceed your expectations for this role.
My background incorporates excellent experience developing and publishing articles and features to propel sales and earn industry commendations and outstanding reviews. From developing new networking contacts and overseeing editorial boards to selecting pieces for publication and managing budgets, my contributions throughout my professional career have resulted in substantial business growth, expansion, and improved performance for reputable newspapers. With my history of publishing success, I am ready to extend my record of accomplishments with your company.
Highlights of my experience include:
- Advancing through progressively responsible positions at the Herald Sun in Cambridge, MA, culminating in appointment as editor in chief in 2009, where I managed an editorial staff of 16 and a general staff of 45+; following this position, excelled as editor in chief for The Daily Globe and Providence Planet, respectively, in Providence, RI, managing 30+ editors and presiding over the publication of compelling, high-impact, and invigorating content
- Strategically prospecting and soliciting articles, features, and reviews for staff coverage while concurrently leading dynamic brainstorming and information-sharing editorial team meetings
- Skillfully managing newspapers’ social media accounts – specifically Facebook and Twitter – to maintain an engaged and loyal reader base
- Building a collaborative and friendly office environment, maintaining outstanding relationships with both freelancers and internal staff to propel productivity and work ethic
- Developing trusting and lasting relationships with writers, peers, publication management teams, and freelancers through hard work, integrity, a positive attitude, and a collaborative spirit
With my talent, experience, and achievements, I believe I am uniquely qualified to significantly benefit your team and contribute to your publication’s success. I look forward to discussing my qualifications in detail. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Emily M. Hood