Copy Editor Cover Letter
Copy Editors are in charge for proofreading and improving someone else’s work. Publications these experts edit include websites, newspapers, journals, and books. Specific job duties of a Copy Editor include: identifying spelling and grammatical errors, collaborating with authors and publishers, making sure illustrations are in place and match the text, following a style checklist, designing layout, and managing self-promotion activities (for those who are self-employed).
Employers select cover letters focusing on the following skills and qualifications:
- Excellent knowledge of the English language
- Concentration and great attention to details
- Deadline sensitivity and time management
- Computer competences
- Training in electronic media
- Technical or science knowledge for Copy Editors working for specialist publications
Beneath is displayed a sample cover letter for Copy Editor showcasing comparable abilities.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Copy Editor Resume Samples.
Let employers know that you mean business, with a professional cover letter. Learn how to write a cover letter in our detailed guide.
Dear Mr. Drumheller:
Upon review of your posting for a Copy Editor, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your review. With my expert editing abilities demonstrated throughout my career—as well as my experience in research, project oversight, and administrative support—I would significantly benefit your organization.
From identifying grammar and punctuation errors and correcting manuscripts to verifying sources and ensuring compliance with style guidelines, my background prepares me to excel in this role. I have thrived in consecutive copy editing positions with reputable companies including Nordstrom, Delta, and Room & Board, continually demonstrating an unwavering commitment to grammatical and language excellence. With a Bachelor’s degree in English coupled with a post-graduate certificate in Copy Editing, my additional strengths in communication and time management will certainly render me an asset to your editorial team at Break Away.
Highlights of my background include:
- Skillfully copy editing a variety of materials—including brochures, newsletters, marketing collateral, websites, and case studies—to ensure grammatical, spelling, and punctuation excellence.
- Receiving submitted copy from contributors and cross-departmental staff and ensuring content alignment with organizational style guidelines and standards.
- Earning multiple employee awards for job performance excellence; achieving the longest streak of error-free copy—four years and seven months—in the company’s history at Room & Board.
- Providing comprehensive administrative and general office support; overseeing projects, maintaining records, and assisting management staff in various daily operational tasks.
- Honing broad technical skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe InDesign.
- Utilizing solid organizational, communication, and multitasking skills to generate maximum efficiency and first-rate product quality.
With my proven success and experience as a copy editor, coupled with my enthusiasm and dedication to achieving success, I am certain that I could swiftly surpass your expectations for this role. I look forward to discussing the position in further detail.
Thank you for your consideration.
Susan D. Chase