Associate General Counsel
Directed all phases of litigation in state and federal courts, including pleading, discovery, court conferences, motions, and trials. Handled matters in-house and managed outside litigation counsel. Negotiated settlements, including pre-litigation matters. Advised client departments, including fraud department, sales and collections.
- Advised Special Investigations Unit regarding its procedures, negotiated settlements with providers' attorneys and assisted in responding to law enforcement and regulatory agency subpoenas.
- Defended multiple lawsuits brought by a non-participating provider, resulting in favorable decisions regarding the non-assignability of benefits contracts and a cessation of such lawsuits by the provider.
- Managed litigation involving multiple Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans suing multiple defendants who performed unnecessary procedures, resulting in multi-million dollar recoveries.
- Coordinated among several areas of the company responses to subpoenas from the New York Attorney General and the United States Department of Labor.
- Managed litigation brought by broker who had been terminated for fraudulently marketing and obtaining group coverage under a government program resulting in the withdrawal of the lawsuit.