Lead Mission Systems Avionics Engineer
Managed the development of mission system avionics requirements and interfaces for the Joint Strike Fighter program's Avionics Flying Development Laboratory. Developed mission scenarios and requirements that proved avionics system design met or exceeded customer requirements.
- Led a Mission Systems Team of twenty-one people in the development of performance requirements for the mission avionics.
- Held a successful System of Systems demo at a remote test range which successfully dropped the first 500 lb. JDAM against a mobile target. The target was destroyed.
- Developed and presented campaign plan and costs to Vice President of company who authorized capital expenditures of $2.5M.
- Established a canvassing team of eighteen people and established event activities to increase employee awareness of campaign.
- Set site record for the highest employee contribution amount (~$87M).
at this job
Avionics Engineer IV, Airborne Laser Mine Detection System (almds) (present)
Serve as technical lead of ALMDS receiver redesign effort over multiple suppliers (5 million dollar contract )
- Developed essential baseline performance procedures for receiver sensor, laser, laser alignment, and laser optimization
- Led Pod integration, trouble shooting, and scheduled maintenance efforts by coordinating multiple engineering disciplines
- Set up remote post-analysis lab with secure private network to reduce flight data efficiently (Saved 30% on labor costs)
- Developed Auto Mission Plan (AMP) tool and improved efficiency in generation of ALMDS AMP files for the respective software builds
- Served as a field test lead to author final test report to customer
- Redesigned an obsolete maintenance system with multiple design alternatives and authored official trade study documents
- Authored multiple technical proprietary radiometric white papers for active and passive systems
at this job
Principal Engineer - C-5 System Program Office Avionics Engineer
Provided worldwide engineering support to the USAF C-5 System Program Office for maintenance issues that could not be resolved following the established directives in the maintenance manuals. Provided resolution to issues not resolved by mechanics in the field. Established troubleshooting and repair instructions for over 50 field calls requesting engineering assistance related to C-5 avionics and electrical systems. All field calls resulted in positive and timely resolution to the issues reported.
- Directly involved with the life cycle of the Battery Control Electronics Module (BCEM) from the aircraft stand-point. From requirements, selection and procurement of parts, fabrication, integration, validation and verification. Developed the system functional test procedure for verification of the functionality of the BCEM on the airplane. The procedures were effective in verifying 100% of the functional requirements of the BCEM as part of the EPSU program.
- Key contributor to the integration of the Emergency Power System Upgrade (EPSU) Program on the C 5. Developed a wire installation drawing package that reduced the installation time for the EPSU at the depot facility by 30%. The installation drawing package also ensured that the modification of all 112 airplanes were consistent across the fleet.
- Managed the integration of the AVDEC Antenna gasket technology for all the 34 exterior antennas on the C 5. Conducted technical evaluation of test results conducted by the Navy. Presented and defended technical design and integration effort to upper management. Effectively lead a team of five mechanics (avionics, sheet metal and paint shops) during the prototype installation of all 34 antennas. Completed the installation in 50% of the scheduled time.
- Implemented an effective plan for generating a complete drawing package for the manufacturing of the Software Consolidated Load Panel (CLP) on the C-5. Drawing package contained over 25 drawings and 80 sheets total. Assisted in the selection of parts, the integration and implementation of the prototype kit. Effort was documented per ISO 9001 directives and was used as an example to other projects in the organization. Earned company recognition for the effort.
- Mentored five junior engineers on methods and processes used by the C-5 System Program Office. In addition, shared with them background information on design modifications to power distribution system.
at this job
Avionics Engineer, Systems Engineer
Responsible for systems engineering of land, sea, and land-borne systems. Served as consultant and technical expert on a multitude of RF and electrical systems. Performed marketing duties, PowerPoint presentations, writing SOW, and proposals for contract work. Served as communications expert for all bands of RF for multi-government agencies, including the U.S. Coast Guard, CDC, Customs, DOS, and state, and local governments.
- Completed a U.S. Coast Guard deepwater recapitalization cost-benefit analysis of available HF equipment manufacturers for 100w to 1Kw system integration of all electronics systems, installations, and de-installations for aircraft, land, mobile, and shipboard systems.
- Acted as special Electronics Projects Manager for the U.S. Government on Drug Interdiction electronics and sensors, Homeland Defense, and other issues for SYTEX.
- Served as an expert in covert electronics, communications, navigation, pulse systems, and Research and Development (R&D).
- Managed data and voice microwave systems.
- Provided training, using visual aids, manuals, and system block diagrams.
at this job
Planned, executed and reported on radar and navigational flight tests
- Promoted to lead radar engineer
- Supervised 3 discipline engineers and a data manager
- Developed several Matlab based programs utilized by peer engineers for analysis
- Provided project engineering on the T-38 avionics upgrade program
- Created and utilized data analysis tools to certify RNAV (LNAV/b-VNAV) approach capability
- Generated and maintained the 416th Flight Test Squadron / Radar group Share Point website
- Authored two test plans, one data package, one technical report and two safety package
at this job
Communications and Avionics Engineer
Distinguished 22 year career of which 13 years were at Andrews AFB, MD as the Resource Manager for the 89th Military Airlift Command in support of Air Force One supervising 42 communications engineers.
- Maintained and managed schedules for all operational missions for each engineer.
- Flew with the President and Vice President of the United States, Members of the Cabinet, Members of Congress, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Foreign Dignitaries.
- Maintained and operationally checked avionics on the aircraft and conducted all communications to and from the aircraft while airborne.
- Established and managed an account for COMSEC (Communications Security) materials.
- Supervised, planned and coordinated operations of communications equipment.
- Tested ground and flight phases of aircraft communications systems modifications and enhancements.
- Designed a computerized scheduling system for personnel.
- Served as trainer, evaluator and flight operations test administrator for Presidential Aircraft communications systems.
at this job
Designed avionics systems, cockpit/switch layouts for Cabin Management Systems.
- Worked with wiring diagrams, load analyses and certification considerations for the Global Express and Challenger 604.
- Designed interfaces for A/C avionics systems using AUTOCAD and provided technical support to the avionics department to test newly installed systems
- Researched communication and navigational aircraft systems interface compatibilities.
at this job
Subsystem Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Telephonics Radar.
- Designed and integrated subsystems into aircraft avionics per customer requirements.
- Generated and validated test procedures for Mission Systems Integration on the S-70B based on design
- Generated and validated test procedures for Mission Processor Software on the S-70B based on design
- Generated comprehensive reports detailing design qualification and requirement compliance.
- Identified integration issues and problem solved solutions.
- Served as a Business Area Export Representative for the Avionics group.
- Performed classification and jurisdiction determination on items in accordance with the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and Export Administration Regulations.
- Authorized exports of items to be sent to international customers in accordance with the International Trade
at this job
- Maintained accuracy of Boeing 767 wiring diagram manual specific to ABX 767 as part of B767 acquisition process.
- Provided DC8 and 9 line support.
- Initial user of new integrated component tracking program.
- Developed processes and wrote engineering orders for modification or repair of aircraft.
at this job
Senior Electrical / Avionics Engineer
Provided Systems Engineering support to Interior Control Systems, Cabin Management Systems, Galley Structures, Flight Crew Spaces, Storage, Lighting, and other electrical/electronic systems.
- Supported System requirements definition, configuration and integration of customized Cabin Management Systems, avionics/LRU and electrical systems.
- Responsible for drafting System Configuration and System Test Document that identifies the hardware and system software required to meet specific customer needs.
- Guided customers during definition stage to ensure efficiency and optimal performance of final product.
- Worked closely with the software development, sales, and engineering teams to ensure compliance with all product requirements.
- Created software change orders from customer requests or field service engineering organization.
- Responsible for producing electrical/avionics/LRU schematics and wire harness installation drawings utilizing AutoCAD.
- Provided guidance, approval, and technical direction for drafters and engineers involved in the design of avionics/LRU and electrical systems for the Altaire jet design program.
at this job