Social Service Worker Cover Letter
Social Service Workers assist vulnerable individuals and help them get over issues such as family problems, school non-attendance, mental health conditions, disabilities, homelessness, or substance abuse. Essential job duties of a Social Service Worker include: assessing client situation, conducting interviews, managing social programs, writing assessments, referring clients to appropriate services, attending multidisciplinary meetings, and giving evidence in court.
Employers select candidates who are able to demonstrate the following Social Service Worker abilities throughout their cover letters:
- Social services training
- Being able to work under pressure and to handle crisis situations
- Self-drive and enthusiasm
- Negotiation and communication abilities
- Organizational skills
- Empathy and a genuine interest in helping people
- General administrative abilities
Comparable skills and abilities are visible in the example cover letter displayed beneath.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Social Service Worker Resume Samples.
Improve your chances of getting noticed with a powerful cover letter. Take a look at our guide to create the best cover letter in 2019.
Dear Mr. Browne:
Upon learning of your need for a new Social Service Worker, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your review. My 12 years of experience in program management and client support—as well as my comprehensive education and training in psychology, sociology, and crisis intervention—give me confidence in my ability to significantly benefit your establishment.
My background in social support, direct client assistance, and agency communications has prepared me to excel in this capacity with the City of Boulder. My communication strengths and ability to connect with individuals and establish trusting relationships, along with my talents in time management and organization, position me to thrive in this challenging role. Additionally, my advanced education and training—including a Master of Social Work degree attained from the University of Colorado, Boulder—is sure to make me an immediate asset to your team.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Managing a caseload of approximately 37 clients per month with the City of Denver’s Human Services Divisions, conducting intake interviews, documenting detailed case notes and narratives, filing charts, scheduling appointments, writing reports, and coordinating ancillary agency referrals.
- Assisting individuals in coping with a variety of challenges and troubling situations including financial distress, homelessness, substance abuse, and terminal diseases.
- Implementing State and County policies into everyday practice while driving compliance with all State laws, regulations, and mandates.
- Attending numerous training programs and seminars to maintain up-to-date knowledge in the field of social work, as well as current awareness of local area resources to assist socioeconomically disadvantaged clients.
With my previous excellent experience and my advanced education, complemented by my fervent interest in providing critical assistance to those in need, I could swiftly surpass your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss the position, and my qualifications, in further detail would be appreciated. Thank you for your consideration.
Gwen M. Lopez