Youth Specialist Cover Letter
Youth Specialists work to improve the lives and wellbeing of children facing difficulties that range from criminal records to substance abuse to homelessness. Typical work activities for a Youth Specialist are service referrals, case management, records maintenance, individual and group counseling, program development and leadership, and goal achievement. Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills are crucial for this type of position.
Cover letters for Youth Specialists often make mention of the following types of abilities and skills:
- Youth counseling and mentoring
- Ancillary support/service recommendations
- Psychological care
- Case management records
- Individualized treatment planning
- Interdisciplinary team collaboration
- Program management
A sample cover letter for a Youth Specialist with comparable qualifications and experience is shown below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Youth Specialist Resume Samples.
Improve your chances of getting noticed with a powerful cover letter. Take a look at our guide to create the best cover letter in 2019.
Dear Ms. Lewis:
When I learned of your need for a Youth Specialist to join your team at CareWorks, I was eager to submit my resume for your review. My experience providing counseling, mentoring, and general support to youth populations with criminal and/or challenging backgrounds—as well as my excellent communication and interpersonal skills—gives me confidence in my ability to significantly benefit your organization and the youth you work with.
From offering both individual and group support services to communicating effectively and collaboratively with families and local agencies, my background has prepared me to excel in this role. My ability to connect quickly with young individuals and build trusting relationships, along with my strong crisis intervention and analytical talents, position me to thrive in this challenging capacity.
I invite you to consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Excelling in my most recent role as a Youth Specialist with the Sussex County Juvenile Corrections Center, mentoring and managing a caseload of up to 50 at-risk youth with juvenile criminal records.
- Adept at recommending and connecting youth with appropriate ancillary services—including substance abuse support groups and anger management programs—on an as-needed basis.
- Coordinating external care and monitoring progress with therapists, supervisors, and peer youth specialists to meet individualized treatment goals.
- Leading topical group discussions and programs focusing on subjects such as social skills, team collaboration, emotional expression, and life skills.
- Earning a Bachelor of Science in Social Work from New York State University and gaining outstanding communication, analytical, and critical-thinking skills during my education.
With my previous experience in youth counseling and support, complemented by my dedication to providing critical assistance to at-risk youth in need, I believe I could swiftly surpass your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss the position in more detail would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Maryellen D. Jefferson