Legal Office Specialist
Supported the Juvenile Division of the Probation Department. Transcribed correspondence, court reports, forms and specialized legal documents from drafts, notes, dictated tapes, or brief instructions, using a word processor terminal. Proofread documents for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with departmental policies and regulations.
- Typed motions, petitions such as probation violations, and other legal documents for filing with the court. Submitted copies of filed documents to the public defender and district attorney offices as necessary. Notified clients of probation violations filed with hearing date and time via mail.
- Reviewed Juvenile Contact Reports (JCR) and, at the direction of the probation officer, requested police reports from police departments as noted on the JCR and prepared a request for a petition to be filed by district attorney.
- Entered and retrieved data to prepare a variety of court reports and other specialized legal documents using the Juvenile Case Management System, and reviewed such documents for accuracy. Also updated system with orders from the court. Accessed statewide networks for information and resources.
- Performed a variety of other office administrative support, such as arranged for office equipment repair, kept reference materials up to date, restocked and organized office supply storage, sorted and distributed mail, and made service calls for building maintenance and repair. Answered and screened telephone calls and directed calls to the proper persons or personally handled them. Assisted visitors, collected restitution payments, fines and fees from clients and processed daily money transmittals. Operated standard office equipment. Responsible for opening and closing the office daily.
- Performed other duties as assigned.