Senior Staff Accountant
Developed and maintained accounting principles and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements and special reports. Provided treasury/investment reporting, updating, and training to management by individual insurance company and consolidated insurance group. Responsibilities included general ledger preparation and accuracy, financial reporting, balance sheet reconciliations, month end journal entries, audit preparation, surplus lines and premium filings, and reporting of GAAP and STAT financial results.
- Tracked daily investment activities and calculated stock gains and losses for financial reporting to management.
- Implemented electronic journal entries of investment activities from investment module to general ledger, decreasing errors and time required for financial reporting and reconciliation.
- Effectively renegotiated maturing special deposits in compliance with state-specific guidelines.
- Created process to identify and report past-due/current surplus lines tax and premium tax by state.
- Implemented vendor-specific reporting to decrease internal and external staff time spent reporting policies and state-specific declination affidavits.
- Identified over payment of annual premium tax due to change of domestication from DE to TX resulting in a .15% decrease in retaliatory tax rate.
- Communicated with and prepared schedules for outside auditors during annual audit and mid-year review.