Obtains verbal report from the patient's nurse to included information regarding the patient's identified care needs, diagnosis, visual, auditory, or language barriers, as well as any special consideration (NPO, bed alarms, etc.)
- Positions self in patient room at bedside to maintain constant visual oberservation of the patient. Never leaves the patient alone or out of sight unless specifically instructed by the nurse.
- Obtains instruction from nurse regarding ambulation limitations and course of action for redirection of patient if needed.
- Observant of the patient's activity and behavior and communicates on a regular basis to the nurse. Receives direction from the nurse re: what to report, to whom, and how.
- Provides for patient comfort, safety, and satisfaction. Maintains patient environment in a safe and orderly manner.
- Functions cooperatively as a team member. Responds as directed by responsible nurse to changing patients'/unit's needs. During a patient or environmental emergency, may serve as a runner or transport patients as directed.