Guarantee safe operations of trucks and all related intermodal operations. Forge and sustain open communication and relationships with outside carriers. Provide keen oversight to the entire business operation that includes directing, coordinating, and evaluating the department as well as establishing key performance indicators for all direct reports in the department to keep abreast of performance and effectiveness of staff activities, and create appropriate action for enhancement as required. Render assistance and support to Manager of Truck Operations in selecting and retaining qualified and quality pool of drivers. Played a pivotal role in coaching, training, and mentoring direct reports; held responsible for providing career development opportunities through training and quality management activities. Demonstrated adeptness in conducting annual performance reviews for all staff within department. Provided direction to six directs reports to ensure accuracy of attendance records including overtime to ensure proper compensation. Assumed full accountability in monitoring every load and report, and estimated time of arrival to the port to keep marine operators informed of every door-to-door load to stow vessel properly. Led and managed complex accounts that require team drivers which are generally complex due to the product value in excess of $1M; trained new drivers on how to properly transport them while maintaining safety measures. Solely managed and supervised staff; directed and resolved any issues among staff and departments. Negotiated and secured services with outside carriers involving dispatch, payments, invoices, accessorial, and on-time tracking and reporting.
- Released reports that discussed the performance on the different terminals/trucks (KPIs) to be submitted to the director.
- Administered and provided trucking services as required, meeting customer's extended haul shipping requirements and standards.
- Consistently met customer dispatch needs through efficient dispatching of trucks to haul, balancing cost minimization, driver utilization, and driver preference.
- Directed the efficient operation of shipment tracking and billing.
- Created designs and assessed feasibility of alternative system approaches; dealt with gathering and evaluating system performance data.
- Checked and assessed transportation costs and trends, and managed the preparation and submission of routine reports identifying actions for improvement.
- Produced and coordinated with issue resolution with other departments and terminals.
- Successfully improved process through identifying and providing cost-effective solutions.
- Consistently ensured strict compliance mandated by the local, state, and federal government, such as DOT adherence.