- Featured in:
The best examples from thousands of real-world resumes
Handpicked by resume experts based on rigorous standards
Tailored for various backgrounds and experience levels
Technical Support Resume FAQ
How do you describe technical support on a resume?
The best way to describe your technical support knowledge on a resume is to use straightforward facts backed with quantifiable proof. A persuasive work history entry uses easy-to-understand accomplishments to convey your fit for the role.
For example, as a technical support applicant, you sound more impressive if you write, “Designed and implemented an in-house PHP-based solution to allow foreign language customers access to the corporation’s cloud-based library and translations, saving the company $60,000,” rather than the noninformative “Developed an in-house PHP application to save the company money.”
What are the examples of technical support?
Examples of IT-based technical support include:
- Diagnosing hardware or software problems.
- Configuring computer systems and company-mandated software.
- Troubleshooting network issues.
- Offering remote and in-person support.
- Developing technical training materials.
What are the skills required for technical support?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the most effective skills required for technical support include:
- Strong listening skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong documentation skills
- Understanding of standard hardware and software
- Strong communication and patience to guide staff and customers through troubleshooting steps
- Installation and training of individuals on new hardware and software
Don’t forget to feature your interpersonal and hard skills in addition to your technical support knowledge. Take a look at the list we compiled of the most requested skills found in job openings to get more ideas for your resume.
What is the role of IT support?
Your IT technical support specialist role includes troubleshooting standard hardware and software issues related to computers, wifi or cloud-based programs. You’re also responsible for investigating and assessing repeated technical issues related to improper usage of equipment.