Language Arts Teacher Cover Letter
Language arts teachers instruct students in reading, composition, and literacy courses to improve their comprehension, fluency, and writing skills. Typical work activities include planning lessons, selecting texts, facilitating classroom discussions, assigning papers and exams, and overseeing overall classroom management. Superior presentation, communication, and leadership skills are all essential in this position. Also of importance are the ability to engage and inspire students to foster course accountability and an appreciation for language arts.
Cover letters for this role often mention the following:
- Lesson and curriculum planning
- Homework and grading
- Text selection and assignments
- Whole-group discussions and lectures
- In-depth text analysis
- Composition and fluency assessment
- Student performance evaluation and progress monitoring
- Classroom management
- Student and parent relationships
- Staff collaboration
Below please find a sample cover letter for a language arts teacher reflecting relevant skills, qualifications, and experience.
Dear Ms. Darby:
As a dedicated and skilled teacher with comprehensive experience instructing high school students in literature and writing, it is my pleasure to submit the enclosed CV for your review. My background and passion for education positions me to significantly impact your school in the role of language arts teacher.
Curriculum development, text assignments, classroom management, and innovative educational techniques are just a few of the areas of expertise I have acquired throughout my 11-year teaching career. By instructing students in a wide range of language arts topics and capacities, I have honed my communication, creativity, and motivational skills. Additionally, my enthusiasm for fostering collaborative and exciting educational environments has successfully encouraged and developed productive, thoughtful, and accomplished students.
Highlights of my qualifications include:
- Teaching students in grades 9-12 at Mona Wilterdon High School in diverse language arts classes including English Literature, Essay Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, and Narrative Voice
- Introducing new literacy curriculum at the school – including a reader’s/writer’s workshop – to measurably improve students’ informational text proficiency
- Collaborating with my fellow English teachers at Mona Wilterdon to determine appropriate lessons and texts and facilitate cohesive and standards-based instruction
- Achieving high levels of performance growth in my students’ learning as shown through increased standardized test scores
- Leading a summer SAT-prep course for juniors focusing on reading, writing, and language exam preparation
- Communicating effectively with students, parents, and peers and achieving standing as a disciplined and insightful educator who cultivates meaningful connections with learners and their families
- Earning master of education and bachelor of arts in English degrees, both from Washington University in St. Louis
With my experience and credentials, I am well prepared to dedicate myself to the highest standards of language arts learning at your school and exceed your expectations for this position. I look forward to discussing my qualifications in further detail. Thank you for your consideration.
Marie K. Jenkins