Sports Reporter Cover Letter
Sports reporters write news reports, interviews, and features on sports-related content for print and online publications. Common activities performed in this role include interviewing athletes, compiling stats, covering games and conferences, and assisting with story layout and design. Extensive sports knowledge and interest is required for this position, as are excellent communication, writing, networking, and time management skills. A flexible work schedule and the ability to travel as needed are also beneficial.
Cover letters for this role often mention the following:
- Sports stories, reports, and features
- Recaps, opinion pieces, and previews
- Player and coach interviews
- Game statistics, schedules, and score lists
- Sports events and conferences
- Blog and social media content
- Networking and community partnerships
- Readership and circulation growth
- Journalistic best practices
Please find a sample cover letter for a sports reporter below highlighting relevant skills and experience.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Ms. Madrid:
Upon review of your posting for a sports reporter, I hastened to submit the enclosed resume for your consideration. As an accomplished writer with more than 10 years of experience creating informative and engaging sports news content for both print and online channels, I am well positioned to exceed your expectations for this role.
From producing dynamic sports news stories and reports to utilizing my comprehensive knowledge of media trends and best practices, I excel at generating top-quality content composition and layout to drive readership and growth. With my exceptional communication and time management skills – complemented by six years of outstanding sports reporting experience – I am prepared to substantially impact the success of your newspaper.
Highlights of my experience include…
- Writing sports features, game stories, and a daily sports blog as a staff writer with the Pronghorn Daily News for the past six years (circulation 60,000)
- Scheduling and conducting interviews with coaches and players, performing deep research on facts and statistics, attending sporting events and conferences, and writing detailed sports news reports
- Playing a key role in transitioning the paper’s web presence to a faster domain host, leading to a first-time incorporation of video, a cleaner layout, and a 32% increase in readership
- Developing productive and lasting relationships among the media community and collaborating with a variety of individuals and groups to achieve first-rate news quality
- Utilizing an array of desktop publishing tools, including Quark, InDesign, and Photoshop, to create attention-grabbing headlines, stories, and overall product; proficiency in various social media tools including Facebook and Twitter
- Earning a bachelor of arts in journalism from the University of Texas, Austin
With my experience in creating impactful and informative sports stories and reports, along with my outstanding organizational and team leadership abilities, I am positioned to significantly benefit your publication. I look forward to discussing the position and my qualifications in further detail. Thank you for your consideration.
Timothy L. Williams