What is a Strategy Manager?
In order for a company to grow, objectives for growth with minimal risks must be set. The individuals tasked with advising as to how best to achieve these goals is the Strategy Manager. These professionals assess the organization’s goals, determining which ones are realistic, and work with the company executives to formulate actionable plans to achieve the said objectives.
Strategy Managers are not entry-level or mid-level positions; they typically make up the top leadership executives, or report directly to one. This professional can find work in a company in virtually any industry, as all businesses can use an expert in growth strategies. As such, the need for Business Operations Specialists, such as Strategy Managers, is going to remain steady, with a 5 percent growth yearly, resulting in 16,690 jobs becoming available annually through 2024, according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics.
Want to add value to your job application? Using a professional cover letter builder can help you stand out from the competition. Use ours to build a stand out letter that will get you noticed.
Strategy Manager Duties and Responsibilities
Business Objectives Recommendations
Strategy Manager Skills
It takes a special kind of person to succeed in the role of a Strategy Manager. This professional must have excellent analytical skills and the ability to conduct detailed research in order to sum it up into reports that a layperson can understand. They must be able to make quick and innovative decisions, and the communication skills to make the stakeholders follow their advice.
Core skills Although a Strategy Manager must be a jack-of-all-trades, we pinpointed the main skills this professional should possess
- Project management skills
- Ability to multitask
- Mathematical and statistical knowledge
- Quick decision making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of various financial structures
- Analytical skills
- Organizational Skills
Advanced skills Strategic Management is a competitive field; increase your chances of securing employment by adding these advanced skills to your knowledge base
- Marketing skills
- Product development experience
Tools of the Trade Familiarize yourself with the following online and practical tools and models to excel in the field of Strategic Management.
- Balanced scorecards
- Microsoft Office applications
- SWOT Analysis
- VRIO Analysis
- BCG Matrix
Choose from fully customizable
GET PAST THE BOTS
Ensure compatibility with Applicant Tracking Systems
LOOK YOUR BEST
Save time with sleek and stylish professional design templates
Strategy Manager Q & A
What are some of the core duties performed by a Strategy Manager?
- Contribute to the existing strategic planning process
- Identifying growth opportunities
- Assessing existing markets, ancillary markets and macro-economic trends
- Assessing industry and competitive landscape
- Identifying key industry trends and how they impact the company / opportunities for growth
- Developing senior and board level presentations
- Research and analyze new markets for inorganic growth opportunities
What challenges does this position face?
- Often a fast-paced environment with smaller teams
- Work across many areas of the business so can be seen as an outsider
What skills does this position use most?
- Financial analysis and advanced problem solving skills
- Ability to structure complex business problems in a logical manner
- “Story-telling” via PowerPoint and senior presentations
What should someone consider before becoming a Strategy Manager?
- A career in management consulting to obtain the necessary skills and analytical capabilities
- Get to know the team very well in the interview process
- Hours can be a little longer than expected (although not as bad as management consulting)
What type of person is successful in this job?
- Former management consultants
- Combination of high EQ and IQ
- Ability to drive work independently with little structure
- Ability to quickly change course and work on various projects at a time
What do you find to be the most rewarding about this position?
- Directly impact the strategy and major decisions for large organizations
- Significant exposure to key leaders in the company
Strategy Manager Salary
Strategy Manager Resources
Below, we include the websites, tools and groups that can help you understand more about the field of Strategic Management, and what it takes to excel in this position.
On the WebSociety for Human Resource Management
The world’s largest HR society that provides necessary resources.Strategic Management Assessment Tool
A free, 5minute online assessment tool to assess your company’s strategy against other high performing organizations.
BooksStrategic Management Concepts; 16th Edition by Fred R. David and Forest R. David
A textbook explaining the main concepts of strategic management.Strategic Management: Competitiveness and Globalization
Concepts and Cases, 11th Edition by Robert E. Hoskisson, Michael A. Hitt, R. Duane Ireland – This textbook provides concepts and cases of strategic management in the global economy.Essentials of Strategic Management: The Quest for Competitive Advantage by John Gamble
This book provides essentials for achieving competitive advantage in strategic management.
On LinkedInStrategic & Management Consultants
A group that invites Strategic Managers worldwide to discuss business functioning and dynamics and sectorial/industrial happenings. The – A group whose goal it is to bring together the worlds of reflective practice and thoughtful scholarship
Strategy Manager Resume Help
Explore these related job titles from our database of hundreds of thousands of expert-approved resume samples: