Zookeeper Cover Letter
Zookeepers ensure a clean and safe environment for zoo animals. An important responsibility of these employees is to monitor animal health condition and administer medication when necessary. Other duties of a Zookeeper include bathing animals, providing exercising opportunities, feeding animals, cleaning and disinfecting cages, replenishing drinking water, and providing entertainment. If animals become sick, Zookeepers inform veterinarians on their symptoms.
Our collection of sample cover letters for Zookeeper reveals the following job requirements:
- Being able to look after zoo animals
- A good understanding of animal behavior
- A genuine interest in nature conservation
- Observation skills and attention to details
- Physical fitness and resilience
- Attention to safety
The sample cover letter below showcases comparable Zookeeper skills and abilities.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Zookeeper Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a Zookeeper, check out our more complete Zookeeper Job Description.
Don't send your resume without a cover letter. Find out how to create a professional cover letter in our guide.
Dear Mr. Thornburg:
When I learned of the Santa Barbara City Zoo’s search for a new Zookeeper, I quickly decided to submit the enclosed resume detailing my experience and credentials for your consideration. If you are looking for a highly educated, experienced, and dedicated professional devoted to upholding the highest standards of animal care while enhancing community and guest relations, you will find my skill set and abilities to be of great interest.
My expertise lies in successfully overseeing the husbandry, care, comfort, and safety of more than 175 exotic and non-exotic animals as a zookeeper for the Metropolitan Miami Zoo for the past eleven years. Through my experience, I have become adept at managing diet preparation and feeding responsibilities, medication and medical care administration, animal transportation, and enclosure maintenance. Furthermore, my proven ability to supervise and motivate employees positions me to make a significant contribution to your organization.
The following achievements demonstrate my qualification for this position:
- Spearheading a full range of zookeeping responsibilities—including bathing and exercising animals, providing food and water, cleaning living spaces, training animals as needed, and monitoring their health conditions—to ensure outstanding comfort, safety, and contentment for the animals.
- Presiding over the acquisition and comprehensive care of twelve new emperor penguins in the Metropolitan Miami Zoo’s collection; coordinating marketing communications and plans to capture community interest and drive increased admission.
- Overseeing facility improvement projects, customer food court and gift shop areas, cost reduction, and staff relations.
- Hiring, training, coaching, and managing nine assistant zookeepers throughout my career.
- Demonstrating a keen aptitude in working with wild animals, as well as basic veterinary skills and a commitment to a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Obtaining a Master’s degree in Animal Sciences with a concentration in Zoology from Florida State University.
My dedication to optimizing operational success, facility management, and animal care and husbandry will contribute immensely to the success of the Santa Barbara City Zoo. Thank you for your consideration; I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Kay E. Heathville