Underwriting manager for Markel Risk Specialty (MRS), which converted to Markel Specialty Commercial (MSC) in 2011. MRS was a commercial generalist operation serving Markel's countrywide retail agency force with account premium ranging from $15,000 to $1,700,000. Responsibilities included 21 direct reports ranging from underwriters to processing staff with written premium of $13m. MSC consisted of new specialty programs including Recycling, Temporary Staffing, Show Caves, Museums and misc. commercial products not fitting within these programs. Responsibilities included 6 direct reports including underwriters and rating staff with account premiums ranging from $5,000 to $2,700,000 for written premium goal of $10m, Recycling program comprised 70% of goal.
- Exceeded renewal retention premium and percentage goals
- Achieved new business goals for specialty programs
- Set service standards that surpassed the expectations of the agency force, resulting in outstanding renewal retention while meeting new business premium goals.
- Implemented innovations in workflow processes and procedures to improve efficiencies and capitalize on strengths of individual team members consisting of both underwriters and raters.
- Establishment and tracking of goals, underwriting guidelines and staff training for the development of new MSC programs.