SAN Backup Administrator
Provide 1st and 2nd level problem management and resolution for the backup of hundreds of servers using multiple backup utilities, the tape libraries, drives and media, and SAN infrastructure environments. Maintain PD guides and procedural documentation. Provide On-Call support for backup job failures, user restore needs, and tape, tape drive and tape vaulting issues. Coordinate with the SAN Team to test and implement new backup requests. Responsible for schedule/workload balancing, management of media, including the tape vaulting process and media management related activities. Participate in projects for new software/hardware implementation. Develop and execute new processes and procedures relating to the backup utilities. Develop and administer Computer Operator training and training documentation relating to the operational functions of backup utilities.
- Created Change Advisory Board approved Routine Change procedures to expedite the implementation of new backups for all three backup products.
- Developed and implemented SAN Backup Request process.
- Streamlined and restructured the backup jobs to incorporate only three jobs that can utilize multiple schedules.
- Established trending process and charts for backup size, run times, and tape usage.
- Enhanced the tape vaulting and auditing procedures, which reduced inventory errors.
- Trained Computer Operations to actively monitor, identify, and prioritize tape drive contention and stalled backup jobs, and resolve 1st level daily vaulting errors.