More Emergency Management Specialist Resumes
Use these Emergency Management Specialist samples as a guideline or visit our extensive library of customizable resume templates.
Emergency Management Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Emergency management specialists deal with a range of different duties that can vary depending on the organization they work for. Based on job listings we analyzed, these duties typically involve:
Coordinate Disaster Response Activities Emergency management specialists coordinate disaster response and crisis management activities, such as opening public shelters, ordering evacuations, and ensuring that any special needs programs are put in place in the event of a crisis.
Design Emergency Preparedness Plans A key part of this job is to design and administer emergency training courses that teach people how to effectively respond to an emergency or disaster.
Prepare Emergency Situation Reports Emergency management specialists prepare status reports that describe recovery efforts, needs, and preliminary damage assessments for an emergency situation.
Maintain Knowledge of Regulations Emergency management specialists must stay up to date with the federal, state, and local regulations that affect emergency plans so that they can make sure these plans adhere to the necessary laws.
Coordinate Resources Emergency management specialists coordinate the sharing of resources and equipment from other neighborhoods and areas of the community to respond accordingly to an emergency.
Emergency Management Specialist Skills and QualificationsEmergency management specialists work well and remain calm under pressure. They have excellent communication skills and quickly adapt and respond to emergency situations as they develop. Typically, employers require a bachelor's degree in emergency management or a similar subject, several years' experience, and the following abilities:
- Problem-solving skills - in stressful situations, emergency management specialists make quick decisions and find ways to resolve problems as they arise, so great problem-solving skills are a must in this job
- Communication skills - clear communication skills are critical for an emergency management specialist, as miscommunication can be incredibly dangerous in an emergency situation
- Calm disposition - emergency management specialists need to remain calm under pressure and maintain a reserved disposition when dealing with a crisis, so as not to provoke further worry in others
- Flexibility - emergency management specialists need to be adaptable and able to make quick decisions as situations change and develop. Crisis situations can escalate quickly, so people in this role must find new ways to resolve issues
- Critical thinking - emergency management specialists must anticipate hazards and issues that might arise during an emergency so that they can respond accordingly
Emergency Management Specialist Education and TrainingThe minimum requirement to become an emergency management specialist is a bachelor's degree in emergency management, public safety, or a similar subject. Employers also typically expect between two and five years of experience in emergency management situations. Applicants can increase their chances of finding employment by obtaining certifications like the Certified Emergency Manager (CEM) designation offered by the International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM).
Emergency Management Specialist Salary and OutlookThe median annual salary for emergency management specialists is nearly $58,000, according to PayScale. Emergency management specialists in the 10th percentile earn around $36,000 annually, while the highest paid earn close to $93,000 a year. Some companies offer bonuses as part of their remuneration package, which can reach as high as $12,000. Over 75 percent of employers offer dental plans and medical insurance as part of their benefit packages. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that this sector will grow 8 percent through 2026.
Create your own professional resume in just minutes.
Try our resume builder todayBuild Your Resume