PRN Certified Child Life Specialist
Assess psychosocial and developmental needs of children and their families on a 48-bed hematology/oncology unit to provide appropriate interventions including: new diagnosis teaching, procedural support and preparation, non-pharmaceutical pain management and coping education, medical, therapeutic, and developmental play, bereavement support, and family/sibling support.
- Document in electronic medical record (EMR) for all referrals and significant interventions.
- Refer patients and families to supports and resources (both in and out of the hospital) such as: 1 Darn Cool School, Animal Assisted Therapy, Phoenix Theatre Group, Beads of Courage, Children's Cancer Network, and Hope Kids.
- Facilitate unit based special events and bedside guest visits.
- Supervise and train unit volunteers to facilitate playroom opportunities for therapeutic play and socialization in addition to bedside supports for patients and families.
- Active member of the PCH technology committee with goals to re-launch hospital application 'Simply Saying' to staff and research current trends in the technology field.