More Devops Engineer Resumes
Use these Devops Engineer samples as a guideline or visit our extensive library of customizable resume templates.
Devops Engineer Duties and Responsibilities
To accomplish their main functions of coding, scripting and process re-engineering, Devops Engineers perform various tasks. We examined multiple job listings to identify these primary Devops Engineer duties and responsibilities. While these are some of the more standard responsibilities, it's important to note that some companies employ different levels of Devops Engineers and the job duties and responsibilities will vary accordingly.
Project Planning Devops Engineers often participate in the processes of strategic project-planning meetings. In addition to providing their guidance and expertise on system options, risk, impact and costs vs. benefits, they create and share their operational requirements and development forecasts to allow for timely and accurate planning of projects.
Development Responsible for developing and building IT solutions, DevOps Engineers install and configure solutions, implement reusable components, translate technical requirements, assist with all stages of test data, develop interface stubs and simulators and perform script maintenance and updates.
Deployment Devops Engineers build automated deployments through the use of configuration management technology. They deploy new modules and upgrades and complete fixes within the production environment. Another duty is to make modules ready for production, which entails moving them according to specific procedures and documenting knowledge transfer.
Maintenance and Troubleshooting Routine application maintenance tasks are an ongoing responsibility of DevOps Engineers that they accomplish via strategy-building techniques. They also help create requirements and procedures for implementing routine maintenance. Troubleshooting existing information systems for errors and resolving those errors is also a main responsibility of DevOps Engineers.
Performance Management Not only do Devops Engineers evaluate existing applications and platforms, they also give recommendations for enhancing performance via gap analysis, identifying the most practical alternative solutions and assisting with modifications.
Devops Engineer SkillsSuccessful Devops Engineers must not only possess superb tech capabilities — they also have to have excellent strategizing techniques. They enjoy collaborating with others and have above-average communication skills. They also are curious, intelligent and motivated. In addition to these general skills and personality traits, employers are looking for Devops Engineer candidates who have the following skills:
- Learning about and gathering new technologies and related tools to introduce to the company in order to grow the agile development environment
- Providing direct server support during various operations such as deployment and general production
- Collaborating with developers to make sure new environments meet requirements and conform to best practices
- Designing, implementing and testing agreed-upon infrastructures
- Automating deployment of Linux applications, system configurations and security settings
- Prioritizing requests from operations, development and product teams fairly while demonstrating a sense of empathy
- Source Control Tools- Devops Engineers use source control tools to keep track of changes they make to their projects, so they can easily return to older versions of their code at any time. This is especially helpful when trying identify and fix bugs in code.
- Continuous Integration Tools- Devops Engineers require constant feedback on the status of software. Continuous integration tools help detect software deficiencies as they develop, which allows Devops Engineers to resolve them more quickly.
- Team Management Tools- To guide and track team movements, Devops Engineers need to use one or more team management tools such as Agile Manager or Agile Bench.
Devops Engineer Education and TrainingAccording to our analysis of online job postings, many employers are seeking Devops Engineer candidates who have a bachelor's degree in areas such as computer science or engineering, electronics engineering, math or a STEM field. A master's degree is often a plus. Proven experience and success in Linux/Unix Administration, SQL and MySQL are important as well as a working understanding of code and script. IT professionals from a variety of backgrounds — software developers, system administrators — often evolve into the role of a DevOps Engineer.
Devops Engineers SalaryThe median annual salary for Devops Engineers, categorized by the BLS as Software Developers, is approximately $107,000. Devops Engineers in the 10th percentile earn about $64,000 annually, while the highest paid make in excess of $163,000 per year. Devops Engineers in California, Colorado and Maryland earn the highest mean salary rate in the U.S. - $128,800, $120,860 and $118,090, respectively.
Devops Engineer Resources
We checked the Web to find the top industry resources to aid you in your exploration of a career as a Devops Engineer. From thought leaders to relevant books, this list offers opportunities to learn and connect.
Sean Hull - Validated by a substantial following, Sean Hull offers a variety of advice concerning tech, cloud and DevOp topics. DevOps Mastery - Hosted by Brian Wagner, this podcast focuses on the best tools and practices related to DevOps and how people can use them.
Arrested DevOps - Join hosts Matt Stratton, Trevor Hess, and Bridget Kromhout for help with best practices in the DevOps arena.
The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations by Gene Kim, Jez Humble, Patrick Debois and John Willis -This book is for those who want to make significant changes to their IT organization via DevOps practices, which will increase productivity and profitability.
Create your own professional resume in just minutes.
Try our resume builder todayBuild Your Resume