Nuclear Waste Packaging Specialist
Sub-contract for Department of Energy (DOE) to assist nuclear waste generators in the compliant management of waste including mixed, low level, TRU, hazardous, recyclable and non-regulated. Maintain working knowledge of the treatment storage and disposal facilities Waste Acceptance Criteria and the waste acceptance process.
- Perform inspection, surveillance and oversight of activities critical of the Oak Ridge Reservation and NNSS waste certification programs, identifying and documenting non-conforming conditions in accordance with site policy and procedures.
- Accountable for waste package certification activities in support of waste shipments to NNSS and verifying package is not breeched or damaged and is in a condition to withstand the stresses of loading, handling, stacking and shipping.
- Ensure packaged waste meets the physical Waste Acceptance Criteria and description in the approved profile. No anomalous items included and the appropriate container is utilized with integrity verified.
- Provide guidance to waste generators on waste characterization, labeling, interim storage and Department of transportation (DOT) Safety Document Requirements.
- Support all field activities while working with radioactive and hazardous materials/waste in radiological zones/hazardous waste sites.
- Responsible for preparing and maintaining electronic tracking of waste package movements, location, storage and shipping from time of generation to final shipment.