Enlisted to improve regulatory performance for world's largest industrial battery manufacturer with more than 500 employees at Richmond plant. Evaluate and analyze work environments and develop programs/procedures to mitigate and prevent injuries including delivering training in safety and lead exposure and monitoring lead levels in air and blood. Report directly to Plant Manager and supervise staff of 7. Prepare and administer $1.6M annual budget and maintain environmental permits for air, waste, waste water, and storm water. Direct EHS initiatives and audit waste vendors to confirm compliance with applicable regulations and drive continuous improvement. Compile company safety and regulatory records. Oversee waste management functions, conduct thorough inspections and PPE checks, and perform comprehensive surveys of oxide mill bag houses on daily basis.
- Saved more than $3M in the last 6 years by initiating multiple upgrades:
- Established new waste water system to ensure full regulatory compliance and received award from Kentucky/Tennessee Water Association for "Most Improved Industrial Waste Water System" in 2008.
- Replaced all sulfuric acid containers with double-walled tanks on 3 oxide mill bag houses, cutting sulfuric acid costs by $50K+.
- Researched and installed HEPA filters for oxide mill bag houses to control emissions and successfully completed and passed testing for all emission points.
- Reduced accident rating from 10.3 to 3.3 in one year.
- Instituted EHS training course for all 500 personnel, rewrote mobile equipment instruction manual, and expanded safety program by adding hourly employees as representatives to Safety and Ergonomic Committee.
- Restructured LO/TO program including documentation, training, and ID signs to guarantee adherence to OSHA requirements.
- Effectively managed blood lead program and generated 100% participation in testing for employees under 30.