Apprentice Chef Cover Letter
Apprentice chefs work under the tutelage of established chefs in the kitchens of restaurants or other food service establishments, providing comprehensive support in food preparation, storage, and hygiene. Typical responsibilities performed in this role include sautéing and slicing vegetables, cutting meats, preparing sauces, portioning food, storing food, and keeping kitchens and work stations organized and sanitized. A flexible attitude, a commitment to customer service excellence, and strong physical stamina are all assets in this position.
Cover letters for this role often mention the following:
- Daily food and kitchen preparation
- Dicing, slicing, and julienning
- Portioning and storage
- Hygiene and cleanliness
- Inventory control and maintenance
- Special event coordination
- Culinary training and knowledge
- Food service industry regulations
- Food service best practices
- Team collaboration
- Customer service and satisfaction
A sample cover letter for an apprentice chef follows below, including similar skills, knowledge, and qualifications.
Don't send your resume without a cover letter. Find out how to create a professional cover letter in our guide.
Dear Ms. Vargas:
When I discovered your opening for an apprentice chef, I quickly decided to submit my resume for your review. As an enthusiastic recent graduate of the Walnut Hill Culinary Academy prepared to leverage my knowledge, training, and skill set to make a positive impact on your restaurant and help launch my career, I am prepared to significantly contribute to Vesuvius Restaurant’s goals in this role.
My background spans training and hands-on experience in food preparation, food storage, hygiene and safety, and cleaning and organizing kitchens and work stations. From slicing vegetables and cutting meats to sautéing food items and preparing sauces, I excel at working collaboratively with kitchen staff and leveraging my thorough knowledge of food service equipment and practices to provide an exceptional level of customer service and satisfaction.
Highlights of my experience include:
- Completing a yearlong internship in the kitchen of Sorrento’s Fine Italian Dining, studying and acquiring knowledge of the fundamentals of Italian cooking, including preparing and handling homemade pasta and recommending wines indigenous to various Italian regions
- Assisting in daily food preparation, including julienning, sautéing, garnishing, portioning, and presenting
- Facilitating catering events, wine tastings, and award dinners, among other special events
- Excelling as a key liaison with customers, demonstrating keen sensitivity to unique customer food needs
- Helping to track food and supply inventories and maintaining a focus on stringent cost control
- Possessing solid time management and organization skills, along with high levels of stamina, flexibility, and the ability to quickly learn new techniques and ideas
- Graduating from the Walnut Hill Culinary Academy in 2018 with a degree in culinary arts
My skills in food preparation and chef support have been finely honed, and I am confident in my ability to make a strong contribution to your restaurant’s success as your next apprentice chef. The chance to offer more insight into my qualifications would be appreciated.
Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Ralph J. Stahl