General Counsel Cover Letter
General Counsels provide support to organizations by advising on strategic directions and making sure they comply with legal regulations. Typical work duties of a General Counsel include guiding managers, developing internal policies and procedures, analyzing external factors, determining risks, applying risk management techniques, liaising with stakeholders, answering to staff inquiries, and updating their knowledge of legislative changes.
Based on our collection of example cover letters for General Counsel, the most-sought after skills in this field are:
- Business acumen
- Analytical thinking
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional ethics and confidentiality
- Extensive legal knowledge
- Decision-making and sound judgment
- Computer competences
- Financial expertise
- Intuition and the ability to anticipate business issues
Those looking to secure a General Counsel position can check relevant abilities and qualifications in the sample cover letter displayed right below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive General Counsel Resume Samples.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Mr. Laylor:
As a seasoned lawyer with 15+ years of experience managing corporate regulatory compliance and legal matters, I am well prepared to surpass your expectations. With this in mind, I invite Trinity Investments to consider the enclosed resume as you look to fulfill the General Counsel role.
My experience lies in driving teams through arbitration / mediation, legal contract development, risk analysis, and trial administration for high-profile companies across a range of industries. My demonstrated success in intellectual property and securities—along with my achievement of my law degree from Georgetown University—positions me to make a significant and positive contribution to your company.
Highlights of my expertise include the following:
- Spearheading corporate regulatory compliance, arbitration concerns, and legal contract administration for numerous leading companies while driving successful execution of large-scale projects within the finance, oil, and telecommunications industries.
- Providing comprehensive legal counsel as in-house attorney for companies including JPMorgan Chase and Wachovia, addressing regulatory concerns, due diligence reviews, contract negotiations, acquisition/divestitures, and employment law.
- Negotiating the settlement of a $3.4M lawsuit with less than $8K of outside legal fees.
- Managing intellectual property portfolio and successful intellectual property litigation.
- Overseeing internal lawyers and non-lawyer personnel responsible for providing legal advice and counsel to senior management.
- Demonstrating superior relationship management, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
With my experience in corporate legal management, combined with my exceptional team leadership abilities, I am ready to provide outstanding service for Trinity Investments. I look forward to discussing the position, and my qualifications, with you in further detail.
Cynthia D. Thomas