Senior Editor of Editor & Publisher Magazine, Website, Other Products
Supplying news and information about the newspaper business, from operations (production, distribution, plant design, and labor, legal, health, safety and environmental issues) to editorial, advertising and circulation departments and corporate offices. Cultivated sources, reported from newspapers, manufacturers and meetings, from Tokyo to Vienna. Assigned work to freelancers and contributing editors; collaborated with other editorial staffers, including art director. An industry source for other media, schools and businesses.
- Led early coverage of the Internet, future smart phones and electronic paper as potential means of news delivery. Later created webinar and virtual trade show programs and recruited panelists.
- Investigated incorporation of new media into publishing systems and the arrival of new foreign vendors in the U.S. market. Broadened technology coverage led to signing of new advertisers.
- Worked with newspaper and association personnel from Latin America. Brought readers coverage of pertinent developments in that market.
- Fostered closer ties with the largest international newspaper association, leading to information exchanges and our company's first coverage of annual and quadrennial trade shows in Europe.
- Recruited freelancers and contributing editor; created successful special sections, reports and electronic newsletter. Revamped trade show coverage, achieving greater focus and usefulness.
- Organized and contributed to award-winning reports on news coverage of the war in Iraq and The Seattle Times' operations during the 2006 windstorm that shut down the region.