School Social Worker Cover Letter
School Social Workers assist students dealing with problems that affect their academic performance. These professionals are employed by schools or educational institutions and complete the following duties: talking to students about issues such as illegal drugs or school attendance, identifying students with economic or physical challenges, providing emotional support, supporting at-risk groups, referring student to other specialists, communicating with parents and teachers, maintaining case files, and organizing workshops.
Eligible cover letters for School Social Workers mention the following qualifications:
- Previous experience working in a school
- Knowledge of student issues
- Social work training
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good listening skills
- Organizational abilities
- Time management
- Computer literacy
Relevant job skills can be seen in the example cover letter displayed below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive School Social Worker Resume Samples.
Improve your chances of getting noticed with a powerful cover letter. Take a look at our guide to create the best cover letter in 2019.
Dear Ms. Sheppard:
When I learned of your search for a new licensed and highly skilled School Social Worker to join your staff at Jefferson High School, I hastened to send along the enclosed resume for your consideration. With 13+ years of experience providing emotional and academic support to students facing various issues and concerns, I am poised to significantly benefit your school—and your students—in this role.
My background lies in providing a range of support and counseling services to students, parents, and teachers comprising diverse personalities, cultures, ethnicities, and socioeconomic backgrounds. In striving to enhance the emotional and academic welfare of students, I excel in developing individualized student plans, performing social intake assessments, and providing crisis intervention as necessary while quickly connecting with students and establishing trusting relationships, With my strong communication and empathy skills, I am positioned to thrive in this challenging position.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Managing a caseload of up to 205 students with varying academic and emotional challenges, including special needs; developing curriculum and facilitating programs to encourage growth and success while liaising across multiple groups encompassing parents, teachers, and administrators.
- Providing overarching support to students, evaluating concerns, developing treatment plans, advocating for students, and working closely with teachers and parents to reach student goals.
- Delivering referral linkage to school-based support services and external resources, leveraging extensive network of community resources and contacts cultivated throughout my career.
- Played a key role in developing and introducing an Anger Management support group at Redford High School, leading to a drastic reduction—65%—in detentions and suspensions resulting from physical aggression.
- Utilizing superior interpersonal and communication abilities to provide optimal solutions and support in difficult and stressful situations.
With my previous experience in student social services, complemented by my expertise in providing comprehensive assistance to students in need, I believe I could swiftly exceed your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss the position in further detail would be most welcome.
Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
James J. Spencer