Mental Health Nurse Cover Letter
Mental Health Nurses work with patients diagnosed with various mental health disorders. Typical work duties of a Mental Health Nurse include assessing patient condition, helping to create treatment plans, cultivating patient relationship to gain their trust, responding to distressed patients, organizing therapy sessions, showing people how to manage their emotions, organizing activities for patients, and implementing legal requirements associated with certain types of patients. Mental Health Nurses are also responsible for educating patients’ families on how to care for those with mental health problems.
Our collection of example cover letters for Mental Health Nurse mentions the following skills and qualifications:
- Nursing skills and training in mental disabilities
- Physical fitness and the ability to restrain patients
- Strong observational skills
- Decision-making and fast thinking
- Being able to work under pressure
- Empathy and bedside manners
- Emotional stability
- Recordkeeping and computer competences
Similar skills and experience can be seen in the cover letter sample provided just below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Mental Health Nurse Resume Samples.
A good cover letter can make you stand out from the rest. Learn how to create one in our Cover Letter guide.
Dear Mr. Stovall:
When I learned of your search for an experienced and patient-focused Mental Health Nurse to join your team at SunHome Residence, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your consideration. With more than nine years of experience providing nursing care for mentally ill patients, I am prepared to significantly benefit your facility and deliver comprehensive support to those in need.
My background includes considerable experience as a registered nurse with specialized training in mental health care and support. With expertise in conducting intakes, counseling on alcohol/substance abuse issues, and communicating with supervising psychiatrists and family members, my ability to quickly connect with individuals and establish trusting relationships prepares me to thrive in this position with SunHome.
Just a few of the highlights from my experience include…
- Delivering overarching nursing support to approximately 85 mentally ill patients at the Arc Light Facility in Nashville; assessing conditions, recommending optimal treatment plans, maintaining current medication lists, and supporting patients through significant transitions and challenges.
- Co-facilitated wellness groups focused on coping skills and mental/physical health; led both individual and group counseling sessions.
- Organizing medication schedules and administering injections and oral medicines as required.
- Tackling tough challenges and tasks, such as restraining violent patients, administering medications, and encouraging socialization to reduce feelings of isolation and loneliness.
- Contributing to weekly interdisciplinary team meetings to discuss patient treatment plans and discharge planning.
- Utilizing superior interpersonal abilities to provide solutions and support in emotional and stressful situations.
- Earning a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing with an emphasis on Mental Health from the University of Tennessee.
With my dynamic experience in mental health nursing care complemented by my dedication to providing vital assistance to individuals in need, I believe I could swiftly surpass your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss the position, and my qualifications, in further detail would be appreciated. Thank you for your consideration; I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Ryan S. Fairley