Pre-k Teacher 08/2008 and Nursery Teacher 08/2009
Collaborated with Team Teacher to define learning objectives for class and individual pupils. Planned and presented integrated curriculum units for 13 full-day students to teach beginning science and exploration concepts, number recognition, 1-1 correspondence, patterning, addition/subtraction, shape recognition and manipulation, small and gross motor skills, handwriting, letter and sound recognition, phonological skills, relationships to living world, citizenship, safety, personal responsibility, and social skills.
- Selected with co-teacher to plan, develop and implement school's first Nursery Program. Researched effective methodologies representative of both highly nurturing and cognitively stimulating environment. Consistently recognized by parents and peers for successful program.
- Applied differentiated instruction to meet individual levels of development and needs including adaptations for hearing impaired child. Utilized theories of multiple intelligences techniques, incorporating audio, visual and kinesthetic activities to meet all learning styles.
- Unit examples include Literary Places, Oceans and Community.
- Conducted pre- and ongoing informal and data-driven assessments to identify progress of each student and plan steps toward next developmental level. Wrote detailed progress reports for parents.
- Incorporated peace education techniques throughout day to build social awareness and consideration for others. Encouraged productive exploration and guided in development of conflict resolution and constructive problem solving techniques. Consistently achieved caring environment with each child confident as integral member of class community.
- Worked with teachers and administrators to plan school wide thematic learning units and events. Communicate by phone, newsletter and email with parents to share information on activities, progress and concerns. Member School Community Service Committee and Safety Committee.