Energy Engineer Cover Letter
Energy engineers are tasked with analyzing the quality, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness of energy systems and programs to identify potential upgrades and boost energy performance. Often working with builders and other engineers during the initial phases of construction, these professionals can also support energy projects and system upgrades for established facilities and buildings. Strong capabilities in energy audits, performance monitoring, and complex energy systems are highly desirable in this position.
Cover letters for this role often mention the following:
- Energy management planning
- Energy system evaluation and development
- Energy system installation and modification
- Quality assurance
- Cost reduction and avoidance
- Solar and green energy
- Energy tracking and reporting
- Energy conservation and system upgrades
- Drawings and schematics
- Feasibility studies
- Team collaboration and leadership
- Project management
A sample cover letter for an energy engineer, detailing comparable skills and experience, follows below.
Don't send your resume without a cover letter. Find out how to create a professional cover letter in our guide.
Dear Mr. Hunter:
With the enclosed resume, I would like to express my sincere interest in the energy engineer position you have available. As a highly skilled and experienced professional with expertise in designing and implementing projects and programs to improve energy efficiency while reducing energy costs, I possess the knowledge and skill set that will allow me to contribute to the success of your company.
My background spans excellent experience developing and evaluating energy systems and programs throughout the designing, building, and remodeling stages of construction. From performing on-site verifications of energy efficiency measures and conducting quality assurance evaluations to monitoring energy equipment and systems and managing energy audits, I excel at driving optimal energy efficiency for new construction while working with auditing and engineering teams to rein in costs and ensure compliance.
The following achievements demonstrate my qualification for this position:
- Spearheaded all energy-related projects, programs, and initiatives for the Crenshaw Construction firm, tracking and reporting on energy usage of ~$80M per year across the state of Connecticut in facilities including hospitals, manufacturing plants, multifamily residential buildings, and educational campuses
- Identified, quantified, and pursued energy conservation and system upgrade opportunities relating to building envelope, lighting, EMS, motors, VDFs, and HVAC systems, resulting in higher efficiency and approximately 23% energy savings per building
- Conducted comprehensive feasibility studies using software modeling tools for solar photovoltaic and solar thermal system designs
- Cut natural gas usage expenses at Hartford City College by more than $525,000 per year by upgrading the temperature controls of 175 heaters
- Assisted with code compliance drawings, construction drawings, and schematics during initial design phases of construction
- Interacted with cross-functional agencies and teams to ensure project success; supported mechanics and electricians in equipment and system installations and modifications
- Attained a bachelor of science in environmental engineering from the University of Connecticut
My proven capability to optimize energy efficiency and reduce energy costs – along with my solid skills in communication and team collaboration – will contribute immensely to the success of Sound Energy Design. Thank you for your consideration; I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Kyle C. McMahon