Zoo Keeper Cover Letter
Zoo Keepers are animal care experts responsible for the wellbeing of animals in a zoo. Typical tasks seen on a Zoo Keeper resume are preparing and serving food, cleaning and disinfecting cages, observing any sign of distress, maintaining optimal living conditions, maintaining records, administering medication, taking care of sick animals, making sure that animals’ exercising needs are met, making sure cages are in good condition and safe for visitors, and completing other duties as assigned by supervisors.
A cover letter example for Zoo Keeper should mention the following skills and qualifications:
- Animal care expertise
- Being able to interact with animals and to handle them with confidence
- Attention to safety
- Physical fitness and stamina
- Attention to details and observational skills
- Effective communication
- Being able to follow instructions
Beneath is displayed a cover letter sample for Zoo Keeper highlighting comparable abilities and experience.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Zoo Keeper Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a Zoo Keeper, check out our more complete Zoo Keeper Job Description.
Dear Ms. Rogers:
When I learned of the Portland Children’s Zoo’s need for a new Zoo Keeper, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your consideration. If you are looking for an educated, experienced, and dedicated professional devoted to upholding the highest standards of animal care while enhancing community and guest relations, you will find my skill set and background to be a strong match with your needs.
My experience lies in successfully ensuring the health, care, comfort, and safety of more than 150 exotic and non-exotic animals as a zoo keeper (and previously as a zoo keeper attendant) for the Astoria City Zoo. Adept at managing feeding tasks, medication and medical care, physical exercise, animal transportation, behavior monitoring, and enclosure maintenance, my additional strengths in motivating, developing, and managing top-performing employees positions me to make a significant contribution to your facility.
I invite you to consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Performing a breadth of zoo keeping responsibilities, including bathing and exercising animals, providing food and water, cleaning living spaces, training and entertaining animals, and monitoring health conditions to ensure outstanding animal comfort, safety, and wellbeing.
- Planning for, coordinating, and introducing a new children’s petting zoo to the Astoria City Zoo, including goats, sheep, pigs, and horses; coordinating marketing communications and plans to capture community interest and drive increased admission, leading to a 28% uptick in profits within the first year.
- Orchestrating facility improvement projects, customer food court and gift shop areas, and staff relations and morale-boosting efforts.
- Demonstrating a keen aptitude in working with wild animals, as well as basic veterinary skills and a commitment to a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Earning a Master’s degree in Animal Sciences with a concentration in Zoology—as well as a Bachelor’s degree in Biology—from the University of Oregon.
My commitment to optimizing operational success, facility management, and animal care and husbandry will contribute immensely to the success of the Portland Children’s Zoo. I am certain that you will find my dedication and my positive attitude to be an asset to your organization.
Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Kerry S. Wright