Urban Planner Cover Letter
Urban Planners are responsible for developing cities and towns with a focus on sustainability and regeneration. These experts need to be able to create projects which balance aspects such as industrial development, recreation, housing, transport, agriculture, and environment. Essential work duties of an Urban Planner include: developing planning solutions, collaborating with architects and surveyors, attending public inquiries, studying populations, analyzing surveys, preparing reports, planning transportation systems, discussing with government officials, and supporting their proposals in front of legislative committees.
Employers select cover letters displaying the following job skills and qualifications:
- Training in urban and regional planning
- Excellent knowledge of environmental planning and geography
- The ability to handle complex information
- Strong analytical skills
- Computer proficiency
- Problem-solving orientation
- Negotiation skills
Comparable job requirements can be observed in the sample cover letter provided below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Urban Planner Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be an Urban Planner, check out our more complete Urban Planner Job Description.
Dear Mr. Pratt:
Upon review of your posting for a new Urban Planner, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your consideration. With my advanced education and experience in urban studies and planning, as well as my skills in team collaboration and project leadership, I feel confident that I would significantly benefit your organization in this capacity.
With a solid foundation in urban studies—including city planning, sustainable development, and land use—my background has prepared me to excel in this role. From examining land use / potential and promoting corresponding plans and policies to holding public meetings and ensuring compliance with local ordinances and regulations, I am equipped with the skills and knowledge necessary to positively impact your team. Additionally, my organizational, communication, and problem-solving capabilities prepare me to thrive in this challenging position.
Highlights of my background include:
- Earning a Master’s degree in Regional Planning from Georgetown University and achieving comprehensive knowledge of urban planning through an integrated, educational perspective on the political, economic, geographic, social, and cultural character of urban life.
- Planning and executing various urban planning initiatives through hands-on intern and practicum roles throughout my educational tenure, including updating watershed laws to bring them current with the National Clean Water Act, analyzing sample population demographics for use in trends reports, and participating in the development of county signage ordinances.
- Networking and building relationships with local officials, developers, special interest groups, and the public to help formulate and develop land use initiatives.
- Participating in and completing team-oriented projects while also excelling within more independent roles.
- Utilizing technical, analytical, and motivational skills to propel projects and teams to peak results.
With my previous academic-based experience coupled with my enthusiasm and dedication to achieving success, I believe I could swiftly surpass your expectations as your newest Urban Planner. I look forward to discussing the position in further detail.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Maryanne T. Rios