Underwriter Cover Letter
Underwriters are employed by insurance companies and their role is to decide if applications for insurance cover can be accepted. A good Underwriter should help the company make profit by minimizing losses while still attracting and retaining customers. Common job duties of an Underwriter include processing insurance proposals, gathering background information, determining potential risks, collaborating with specialists to assess these risks, developing policies, and making sure that premiums are competitive.
Those interested in an Underwriter position should be able to demonstrate the following skills throughout their cover letters:
- Analytical thinking
- Negotiation and persuasion skills
- Good numeracy and statistical skills
- Effective communication and being able to interact with all sorts of people
- Decision-making and problem-solving orientation
- Customer service
- Computer competences
Similar abilities and experience are included in the sample cover letter displayed below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Underwriter Resume Samples.
Let employers know that you mean business, with a professional cover letter. Learn how to write a cover letter in our detailed guide.
Dear Mr. Langworthy:
When I learned of Atlas Insurance’s need for an experienced Underwriter to join its team, I felt compelled to submit the enclosed resume. As an accomplished senior-level underwriter with expertise in performing sophisticated risk assessments and providing exceptional customer service, I am more than prepared to exceed your expectations for this role.
Over my 10-year career, I have gained comprehensive experience in process management, contract negotiation and pricing, and client financial evaluation. My demonstrated success in effectively conducting risk appraisals, along with ensuring optimal customer experiences, positions me to make a significant impact on your organization in this position.
Consider the following highlights of my experience:
- Successfully processing up to 35 insurance applications each day through outstanding organization and time management talents.
- Top-flight success in achieving revenue goals while minimizing losses; received multiple awards for my outstanding performance.
- Driven and goal-focused team leadership, with the ability to train and motivate staff to perform at peak levels.
- Forging and sustaining excellent working relationships with brokers and agents.
- Possessing comprehensive knowledge in a variety of underwriting documents and terminology.
With my proven success in insurance underwriting, combined with my inherent ability to lead teams through all facets of risk analysis, I am ready to provide outstanding underwriting service within your organization.
Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to discussing the position with you in further detail.
Emily J. Jenkins