Train Driver Cover Letter
Train Drivers are responsible for operating trains while following schedules. Daily tasks of a Train Driver include making sure equipment is in good operating condition, communicating with control centers, making passenger announcements, opening and closing automatic doors, following signaling instructions, reporting any incident that may arise, following trip protocols, and making sure passengers and cargo are safe.
Those interested in a Train Driver career should be able to demonstrate the following skills and qualifications in their cover letters:
- Technical skills
- Train driving expertise
- Organization and planning
- Being able to concentrate for long periods of time
- Knowledge of safety standards
- Attention to details
- Being able to stay calm under pressure
- Time management
- Computer competences
Comparable abilities and experience required to a Train Driver can be seen in the example cover letter provided just below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Train Driver Resume Samples.
Improve your chances of getting noticed with a powerful cover letter. Take a look at our guide to create the best cover letter in 2019.
Dear Ms. Barrow:
When I read of your search for a new Train Driver to join your team at TrackWay, I quickly decided to submit my resume for your consideration. As a reliable, focused, and highly knowledgeable professional with more than 17 years of experience operating and maintaining freight trains while adhering to all guidelines and safety regulations, I am confident that I can make a solid contribution in this position.
My background spans excellent experience working aboard commercial freight trains to achieve on-time arrivals and ensure proper functioning of all equipment and systems. Backed by my superior analytical and mechanical talents, I excel at maintaining exceptional levels of timeliness, compliance, and safety while swiftly resolving issues and concerns. In addition, my demonstrated ability to react calmly in unexpected situations—coupled with my sound decision-making skills—is certain to render me an immediate asset.
Highlights of my experience include…
- Driving commercial freight trains from coast to coast, conducting daily safety and maintenance inspections to minimize delays and/or recoveries.
- Performing preventive maintenance on trains, documenting all steps taken and utilizing standard and company-specific tools.
- Performing train recovery in the automated system when necessary.
- Participating in daily pass-down meetings to receive full updates on systems and trains prior to shift.
- Operating freight, manual, and dual control switches, derails, air hoses, knuckles, and couplers.
- Communicating regularly with central control for permissions, permits, deactivations, and clearance.
- Completing numerous training programs and classes in topics such as Pneumatics, Schematics, CPR, Winter Storm Safety, Lock Out Tag Out, Tool Inventory, PPE, and Radio Protocol, among many others.
- Demonstrating superior problem solving and time management talents, as well as a proven ability to excel under pressure and in largely independent work environments.
With my extensive record of success as a train driver, I am well prepared to extend my record of service to your team at TrackWay. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this position and my qualifications with you in more detail. Thank you for your consideration.
Roger A. Webster