Summer Associate Cover Letter
Summer associates are law students working in internship capacities during limited summer time frames. Enrollment in an accredited law program is required for this type of position. Customary tasks performed as a summer associate include attending client conferences, preparing legal materials and briefs, conducting research, preparing case files, and assisting attorneys in trial preparation and court proceedings. A high work ethic, a commitment to client service excellence, and a breadth of legal knowledge are all essential to success in this role.
Cover letters for this position often mention the following:
- Legal research and analysis
- Document drafting and preparation
- Legal case files and proceedings
- Client consultations
- Attorney support
- Administrative assistance
- Legal project coordination and support
- Relationship building and maintenance
- Team collaboration
Please find an example of a cover letter for a summer associate below mentioning comparable abilities and qualifications.
Dear Mr. Eberle:
Upon review of your posting for a summer associate, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your consideration. With comprehensive knowledge of legal principles and a commitment to providing exceptional client service and achieving organizational goals, I would significantly benefit your team in this internship role. In preparation to earn my law degree from Rutgers University in 2019, I am poised to leverage my skills and knowledge to make a substantial impact on your firm.
From conducting in-depth legal research and preparing case files to contributing to trial preparation and preparing synopses for supervising attorneys, my versatile background has prepared me to excel in a role supporting legal operations this summer. With a solid foundation in the fundamentals of legal strategies, my excellent communication talents, my resourcefulness, and my time management capabilities position me to thrive in this challenging field and to broaden my skill set within your firm.
Highlights of my background include:
- Achieving comprehensive knowledge of core legal principles while excelling in various internship positions and honing my skills in legal research, case preparation, and client service
- Communicating with district attorneys, judges, police officials, and clients to establish collaborative working relationships
- Leveraging superior organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills to greatly contribute to legal projects and complex cases
- Maintaining a ranking in the top 10% of my class at Rutgers, earning commendation from peers and professors for my adaptability, professional demeanor, and ability to accept constructive feedback
- Thriving in high-pressure, deadline-driven environments that involve erratic and often long work hours
With my previous academic- and internship-based experience in law, coupled with my enthusiasm and dedication to achieving success, I believe I could swiftly surpass your expectations as your next summer associate. I look forward to discussing this opportunity in further detail. Thank you for your consideration.
Ryan S. Bates