Efficiently and accurately enter orders, resolve drug interactions, and verify appropriateness of drug, dose, and route of administration; determine optimal hour of administration. Recommend suitable medications to physicians and nursing staff, tailored to individual patient needs, safety, formulary restrictions, and ease of administration. Conduct drug information and literature searches for staff physicians. Supervise support staff and monitor inventory of controlled medications.
- Participated in interdepartmental behavior management meetings with psychiatrist, physicians, nursing staff, social workers, and patients to improve or resolve behavioral issues.
- Solved medication issues for nursing staff specific to skilled nursing care, such as administering medications for tube-fed or Hospice patients and recommending alternatives to better fit formulary or patient-specific requirements.
- Initiated and maintained patient records on Clozapine Prescription Access System, ensuring that the required blood work monitoring is conducted.
- Served as pharmacy representative in nursing staff meetings; developed creative solutions to grievances which improved interdepartmental communication.
- Ensured compliance with Federal Veteran's Administration Sharing Agreement when procuring and billing for medications.
- Contributed to non-pharmacy staff education and training when transitioning to Pyxis-based emergency and narcotic cabinets, as well as QS/1 WebConnect online pharmacy records.
- Completed audits of nursing medication carts and medication rooms, decreasing waste and loss.