Chief Nurse Executive
250 bed not-for-profit, faith based regional medical center; includes a 19 bed free standing surgical hospital acquired 9/1/2011.
Clinical leadership and administrative direction for the planning, organizing, directing, coordinating and evaluating of patient care/nursing service consistent with the mission, strategic plan, and resources. Patient Care Services include: Progressive Care Unit, Telemetry Monitoring, Medical Units, Surgical Unit, Orthopedic Unit, Acute Rehab Services, Inpatient Therapy Services, Critical Care Unit, Emergency Services; Obstetrics Unit, Labor and Delivery Suites, Nursery, Pediatric Unit, Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner program, Behavioral Health Unit, Wound Care Services, Patient Flow Coordinators, Staffing Office and Administrative Supervisors.
- Mentoring of 5 directors, 8 managers, 10 supervisors and over 700 F.T.E.
- 2013 Nominated for Nursing Excellence in Executive Leadership through the New Mexico Hospital Association Nursing Excellence Center.
- Assisted in successful renegotiation of transformational union contract (2011) and renegotiations (2014); eliminating multiple premium pay policies; elimination of mandatory staffing grids and establishment of management rights (2011); enhancements to clinical ladder and floating policies, elimination of staffing council with transition to alternative staffing model based on established productivity targets (2014).
- Demonstrated due diligence and effective leadership in preventing impending strike through effective communication, leadership rounding and acquisition and training of 350 replacement staff.
- Development of Clinical Supervisor job role; hiring and training of 44 Clinical Supervisors in 18 months; all but three were internal promotions out of the bargaining unit.
- HCAHPS moved from top box in the 30s to top box mid-60s. Majority of this improvement has been inpatient initiatives related to patient communication board compliance, 100% discharge calls, hourly staff rounding, nurse-to-nurse bedside hand-off initiative, leadership rounding on all patients five days a week and multi-disciplinary patient rounding with hospitalists.