Marine Mechanic/ Maintenance Mechanic
Develop and direct 12 Marine Mechanics during port and underway operations to inspect, perform preventive and unscheduled maintenance, troubleshoot and repair aircraft catapult steam launch and mechanical systems, engine boiler plant and mechanics, hydraulic aircraft elevator and steering systems, lifeboat hoists and pneumatic lift equipment.
- Prioritize and plan work, assigning to qualified 12 personnel. Review and approve work plans and materials, and conduct quality assurance inspections at all stages.
- Conduct daily inspections and tests of systems. Ensure clean spaces to protect systems and safety. Proactively identify and address any signs of wear, leak, corrosion or deficiency.
- Maintain technical resource library. Interpret and train staff in use of blueprints, schematics, engineering drawings, technical diagrams, troubleshooting and repair instructions.
- Coordinate work with other shops, trades and departments, planning for efficient troubleshooting, repair test processes. Work productively with electrical, fabrication, and hull technicians to maintain readiness and adapt to emerging priorities. Provide expertise to any department to troubleshoot complex and critical issues with mechanics, pressure systems, refrigeration, pumps or distillers.
- Prepare technical drawings of parts and components for fabrication department. Specify material and strength requirements.
- Mentor and train staff, continually aligning advanced challenges while providing oversight and support. Consistently instill strong ownership of mission.
- Present daily safety briefings and oversee safe work practices. Maintain MSDS and HAZMAT programs. Oversee 18 investigators in damage control inspections, drills and investigations.
- While underway, planned and executed critical replacements of catapult reducing stations, and complex repair to maintain mission. During overhaul period, coordinated with shipyard and other shops to replace 4 steering units, working in tight time frames while ensuring quality assurance throughout project.
- Recognized for achieving continuous outstanding readiness of Catapult systems, facilitating over 11,700 aircraft launches per year. Achieved no accidents/no incidents/no discrepancies.