IT Security Specialist
Investigates breaches and improper use of BLS computer systems; including, as appropriate, the gathering, analysis, and preservation of evidence, as well as the development and implementation of necessary countermeasures.
- Responsible for handling digital forensic evidence and analyzing various digital devices with EnCase 6/7 Forensic Software and FTK Imager.
- Trained resource staff in reviewing and distributing industry vendor alert analysis/recommendations expanding continuous coverage during task assignments.
- Monitors the Department of Labor (DOL) Lockup press room to detect, locate, and monitor all cellular, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth activity to prevent the early release of BLS embargoed data in the room
- Serves as a leading BLS technical authority/resource for IT security by providing sound guidance, comment, and advice at internal and external settings of various types, including conferences and intra-agency groups. In addition, the expertise is used in ensuring the organization's review of all BLS proposals for new and modified IT systems and procedures to ensure and certify their adherence to required IT security requirements and best practices in the ever changing IT security field.
- Participates in network and systems design to ensure incorporation and implementation of appropriate systems security controls and policies, which ensures the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, networks, and data through the planning, analysis, development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of information systems security programs, policies, procedures, and tools.
- Participates in the execution of annual third-party security assessments. These assessments typically include the use of external experts in the field of IT security in auditing key components of the Bureau's environment to ensure that they are configured in compliance with Federal statute and regulation.
- Assists division management in their efforts to prepare IT security policy by performing discrete tasks associated with the overall policy development process, such as evaluating and recommending adoption, nonuse, or use with modification of new or enhanced approaches to the operation of BLS IT systems.