Sociovocational Education Teacher for adults with developmental disabilities, autism, ADHD and mental health problems. Student ages ranged between 18-60
- Drew on past experiences and performed significant personal research to develop the Social Integration program from scratch.
- Subjects covered throughout the program included: mind and body health, physical education, social skills, healthy eating, physical education, time management skills, healthy eating, hygiene and first impressions.
- Effectively managed a challenging classroom environment, teaching students with disabilities, personality conflicts and in two languages (English and French).
- Taught students work readiness skills to prepare them for job placements. These skills included searching for a job using various media, preparing resumes and preparing for interviews.
- Cultivated community partnerships and was successful in finding work placements for students throughout the year within the school, at local churches and at local recreation centres.
- Went beyond assigned duties to collaborate with other departments to design engaging activities for students (e.g. growing vegetables in the community garden and assembling picnic tables for the school with the help of the woodworking lab).
- Awarded an “Exceptional Teacher” designation by the school director and attended a special teacher training program to further improve skills.