Completed the 41 week internship experience with a medical nutrition therapy emphasis, including rotations in the following areas: Foodservice Management, Surgery, Cardiology, Outpatient Nutrition Clinic, Clinical Nutrition Management, Pediatrics, Wellness, Oncology/Hematology, Geriatrics, Nutrition Support, Renal, Morton East High School, Staff relief in Spinal Cord Injury unit.
- Performed nutrition assessments on patients with a wide variety of complex nutritional needs in the acute, long-term, and outpatient settings.
- Created educational nutrition materials and gave nutrition-related presentations to a variety of populations.
- Counseled individuals on the nutritional recommendations for diabetes management, heart-healthy diet, renal disease, celiac disease, weight-loss, weight gain, and food-drug interactions.
- Joined forces with fellow dietetic interns and employees of Hines VA to create, market, and execute a 5K run/walk/roll for Veterans, employees, and their families.
- Worked with fellow foodservice interns to organize, set-up, serve, and prepare a special fall meal for veterans in the long-term care facility.
- Led a hand hygiene in-service with foodservice employees.
- Conducted and presented an independent retrospective research study on the influence of medical nutrition therapy on Veterans at high risk for foot ulcer development.